Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Pregnancy Exercise page

lilliputty is offline Junior Member

Primal Pregnancy Exercise

Shop Now
    Hi everyone, I am 5.5 weeks pregnant and have been primal for nearly 2 years. Having suffered 2 miscarriages in the past, I am determined to carry this pregnancy to term, and I believe that eating primal with a Weston A Price approach has helped me fall pregnant this time.

Before falling pregnant, I was doing a bootcamp style exercise class twice a week - comprising of high intensity interval training (burpees, squats, sprints etc), as well as going on a long bike ride on the weekend. I also walk my dog 4 times a week.

Since falling pregnant I have stopped the classes as I don't want to put my body through any unnecessary stress, but would like to exercise throughout this pregnancy to stay fit and prepare my body for birth.

Does anyone have any recommendations for exercise in the first trimester?

Many thanks in advance!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    walking and bike riding are great for anybody, and swimming is probably a great idea too. you may also want to consider yoga.

if you go to mark's front page and type pregnancy into the search bar, you get a lot of results, including this one on exercise and pregnancy:
    https://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear...knee-mobility/

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    walking and bike riding are great for anybody, and swimming is probably a great idea too. you may also want to consider yoga.

if you go to mark's front page and type pregnancy into the search bar, you get a lot of results, including this one on exercise and pregnancy:
    https://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear...knee-mobility/
    Thank you! I did a search in the forums and couldn't find anything but stupidly didn't think to search on Mark's site! DOH!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Hey there! (waves from a fellow Paleohacker!)

Primalrob has great suggestions. The PB Fitness workout (free pdf download on the Fitness forum)can be adapted by many already fit pregnant women at least through the 2nd trimester (or until your belly gets too big!) You can do the exercises that appeal and skip the ones that don't.

Squats (done slowly) are a great support for childbirth.

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    I'm not in a spot where I can pull it up right now, but search around - there are women who've continued full workouts and heavy lifting throughout their pregnancies... I'll pop back in with some links if I get time later today.

I've read that if you're already doing an exercise/workout plan when you GET pregnant, it should be fine to continue it.

Walking and Swimming seem to be universally recommended for preggos.

Thanks for all the replies (and hello Dragonfly!!)

I guess because of my history of losses I am a little bit more reluctant to do anything that might compromise the pregnancy at such an early stage. Things like sprints and weight training would worry me as they could be too strenuous?

But at the same time I don't want to lose my level of fitness, so am thinking that in the first trimester it would be best to stick to walking and some bodyweight training like squats and push ups. Thoughts?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Doing whatever feels comfortable for you is key. I like your plan.

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    I'm a Registered Midwife in Canada and am in the midst of formulating a plan for writing a book and starting all about Primal Pregnancy and birth! So awesome to pregnant women interested in maintaining a primal life during pregnancy. There is nothing more primal than growing a baby and welcoming it into the world.

During the first trimester your body is doing a lot of stuff. Growing a new organ (placenta), increasing it's blood volume by 50%, changing its glucose and fat metabolism and growing all parts of a brand new human being. In many cases, but not all, our bodies often respond by being really tired! It can be hard because we don't look "pregnant" but we should be treating ourselves with the very most care during the first trimester.

I'd recommend lots of low level activity. Walking or hiking outside, swimming, yoga, biking. Use your energy levels as a guide. Bodyweight exercises for strength are wonderful, again use energy as a guide. It's best to avoid anaerobic exercise as it shunts blood away from the placenta and uterus. Best of luck!

sarah.williams is offline Junior Member
    Hey there,

Check out Pre-Natal Pilates Series - Pilates in London | Daniel Alexandra

They have a good online exercise class to follow and its totally free.

Good luck

k11short9 is offline Junior Member

Question pregnant and injured from car accident

Hello, I joined this site to see if I could possibly get some help and advice. I am 28 years old and pregnant (18 wks) with my first child. Pre pregnancy i was and avid runner and in good shape. When i found out i was pregnant I slowed down on the running but kept up on the cardio and strength training by using pregnancy dvd's i had purchased. About a month and a half ago I was in a head on car wreck. I was driving and an SUV came barreling around a turn and the driver lost control of his vehicle and hit me head on. My baby is fine and healthy (thank the lord) but i suffered severe knee injuries among others. I have every ligament in both knees torn and have a tibial plateau fractures which required surgery leaving me with metal plates and screws in my knees. I am unable and have been unable to walk since the accident. I have been doing my best to atleast control my weight through diet but i am worried all of the inactivity will lead to a very difficult delivery. So basically if anyone has any pointers for exercise with limited or no mobility it would be much appreciated. Thank You

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast