Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal and Heartburn page

Keith is offline Junior Member

Question Primal and Heartburn

Shop Now
    This is my fist posting. I just started eating Primal about a week ago. The one thing I am noticing is severe heartburn and reflux. The only thing that has changed with my diet is that I removed grains and dairy. I have always had issues with reflux, but they were under control until I started eating Primal. It is as if the grains absorbed the acid, whereas now my increase in protein and elimination of grains has given me heartburn.

Has anyone else had this happen? Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Fern is offline Senior Member
    Hello and welcome to the forum, I have only been primal a month (as of today!) and my husband had the exact opposite happen, he was taking 2 prilosecs a day and using tums in between, He has only had heartburn twice in the last month and once it was because he cheated and ate sugar. I am sure the other members can help you more, hope it gets better for you as this is a way better way to live.

animalcule is offline Senior Member
    I got reflux, heartburn, and even vomiting (from reflux) my first month - I started mainlining fat, lots of cream in particular, and my stomach couldn't handle it. After the breaking-in period I had the best digestion of my life in general, still do. However I don't tolerate spicy food well any more, when I used to have no problems - I think grains/legumes, which I used to eat a lot of, did provide a buffer.

Keith is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the responses. I have a feeling it may be from increased fat intake. With eating a diet of primarily grains and not fat, the increased fat load could be doing it. I had a few macaroons made from coconuts the other night, some almond butter yesterday morning, and a NY Strip Steak last night with all the fat. I haven't had a steak like that in over 10 years since I gave up red meat. I have had other red meats over the past year,. just nothing as fatty (and delicious ). Hopefully the pain will subside over the next few days and I will reduce the amount of fat I am eating. I have been taking fish oil capsules, which never gave me a problem in the past, but maybe without the grains to help absorb them, those too are causing heartburn. How should I go about reintroducing fat so as not to get heartburn?

Thanks again!

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Keith... it may help if you post some examples of your typical day (days). that might help the experts around here to see something that you aren't realizing is making the issue worse.

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    I, like Fern's husband have had the opposite occur. No more reflux! It did take a few weeks before I noticed a change, though.

ToddBS is offline Junior Member
    One more chiming in for Primal eliminating chronic reflux. In fact, all it really took was eliminating grains - not even going full Primal. After just 3 days with no grains (specifically gluten grains) my reflux was gone. I've since gone completely Primal and have had it come back only one time: two days ago after eating a piece of fried chicken. It smelled so good I didn't even think about it being coated in flour and fried in (most likely) some type of vegetable oil.

lesliek is offline Member
    I don't think grains "absorb" acid. Rather, certain foods stimulate excess acid production, resulting in heartburn. I had heartburn all the time pre-primal, and now I have none (unless I have too much of the wrong things, like alcohol). What have you been eating?

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member
    maybe a HCl + pepside supplement would help to get over the initial hearburn stage but just the PB diet should do the trick if you give your body time to adjust

grokker is offline Junior Member
    Thumbs up here too. Going primal has completely banished heartburn and reflux for me. Hang in there and I'm sure as soon as your body has adjusted to your new diet you won't have any more problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast