Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy to find full fat yogurt? page

mdlaw is offline Senior Member

Easy to find full fat yogurt?

Shop Now
    I've decided to try adding good full fat unsweetened yogurt to my diet, for a variety of reasons (seems like an ideal breakfast on the run and a great backup meal/snack to have lying around, in addition to the health benefits), but I could not find any at Whole Foods! My WF is usually pretty good, what with grassfed heavy cream and organic ghee and so on, but they had shelf after shelf of flavored and/or proudly 0% fat yogurt, with nary a "classic" yogurt as nature intended it in sight.

If there are particular commonly available brands worth looking out for (I'm in the mid-atlantic US), I'd really appreciate suggestions. There's a farmers' market nearby as well and a locally sourced minimart, but I can't say I've seen it at either of them. Maybe I'll have to ask about having some ordered. Regardless, I'd love some recommendations of good products out there!

Thanks

KimNKY is offline Member
    I usually buy Greek Gods brand- which I find at Kroger by the mainstream yogurt, not in the natural/organic section. That might be King Sooper's for you, depending on what state you're in. They have a store locator on their website too: Greek Gods Yogurt!

I know a lot of people like Fage and I've seen it at Kroger (organic section), Aldi, and Trader Joe's but can only ever find the nonfat kind. I'll keep an eye on this thread because I'd like a tip on where to find that too!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Nancy's and Brown Cow are two I can usually find in health food stores. Look for those that say cream at the top. I think Trader Joe's even has its own brand that is cream at the top and a European style that is like another brand that I can't remember the name of. Also, if you have to get low fat yogurt, that's okay. You can always add cream or creme fraiche to it if you really need the extra fat. I've made my own yogurt at home and it seems it actually comes out better if I use 2% milk. Really the key to good yogurt is that the milk is good quality (not ultrapasturized crap) and the cultures are truly alive.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Tough to find anything better than 2%...so just eat sour creme

Just kidding...we make our own. Just heat your best sourced milk to about 110, then add 1TB/Quart of your best sourced yogurt. Put in oven with light on (keeping ambient temperature between 90-110) and let ferment for 24 hours. The longer ferment leads to more beneficial microbes and less lactose, and this is super cheep compared to just buying that amount of yogurt.

Raven29 is offline Junior Member
    I've been buying Cabot 10% plain greek yogurt at the supermarket. Trader Joe's also has a full fat plain greek yogurt.

PandaRose is offline Member
    FAGE has a good full fat one

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I recommend Fage as well for the taste. It's a lot richer and less tart than other Greek yogurts. Even the 2% is divinely rich.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimNKY View Post
    I usually buy Greek Gods brand- which I find at Kroger by the mainstream yogurt, not in the natural/organic section. That might be King Sooper's for you, depending on what state you're in. They have a store locator on their website too: Greek Gods Yogurt!

I know a lot of people like Fage and I've seen it at Kroger (organic section), Aldi, and Trader Joe's but can only ever find the nonfat kind. I'll keep an eye on this thread because I'd like a tip on where to find that too!
    I too am a fan of Greek Gods, which I can find at my Whole Foods and in the health market section of my local grocery store. It's what I'm looking forward to most at the end of my Whole 30!
    I wish I liked to eat liver.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Really difficult to find full fat yogurt anymore. I found Olympus brand 10% fat at our Safeway. It's really good and creamy and not as tart as some other Greek yogurts.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I find it very surprising that you would not find any at Whole Foods. I find that they sometimes run out of things, so you might try going at a different time. The cream-top grass-fed whole milk usually runs out by the evening, for example.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast