Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy to find full fat yogurt? page 2

Chris_H is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I typically buy full fat Fage or Greek Gods. Usually Greek Gods, since it is sold at more places in town. I can get Fage 2% everywhere but not the full fat one, that is only sold at one store in my town.
    Male, 32y, 6'0" tall
    SW 306lbs (6/1/12)
    CW 244lbs (1/17/13)

BP down from 120/80 to 110/74

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    I like Greek Gods or FAGE. Both of which I can find at City Market (another permutation of the Kroger stores) and at Natural Grocers (a vitamin cottage store).

Greek Gods is much more tangy and sharp, the FAGE is creamy, smooth and almost sweet. So 2 very different products! Brown Cow (City Market) is pretty tasty if you want a more 'regular' yogurt instead of greek yogurt.

But you do have to look around to find a source. My local independent market here in town (which I support minimally because the owner is a jerk and doesn't treat his employees very well) carries several brands of greek yogurt and EVERY one of them is low fat or non fat. Stupid world we live in.

And, if you don't find some or you want your usual store to carry it, ASK! If they get some requests they might actually start carrying it! And since yogurt keeps quite well long past it's expiration date you could ask them to order a case for you too. (And a lot of the time you can get a discount that way!)

Good luck!

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    In addition to those already mentioned you can try to search out ethnic middle eastern markets. They always have full fat yogurt much cheaper than anywhere else. A while back I bought 64oz. for $4. Good stuff, no other ingredients than cream and milk and pectin.

abexman is offline Member
    I also have had this struggle. Was buying the 10% Cabot for a while, but I notice local grocers no longer stocking. TJ has a Euro yogurt but comes in a very smaller container.

I used to have this every morning with a fruit/whey smoothie but am thinking to switch it up now. It's easy to find non-grass fed/non-organic heavy whipping cream (I guess SAD folks use for coffee). Would this be a good substitute for some things you would ordinarly combine with yogurt, like fruit?

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I would stay away from the non-organic stuff. You can't find any Stonyfield? Also I'd stick with plain yogurt, not Greek, as its closer to nature... Whey and casein are the two dairy proteins that work together...though the composition of cow's milk (80% casein and 20% whey) is vastly different from that of human milk (40% casein, 60% whey)... not to mention milk is only designed for babies of the species, even cows don't drink cow's milk after reaching adulthood.. So there is question of should humans really be putting this stuff in their bodies? if you aren't a big dairy eater, I see no reason to introduce it, you are probably better off without it. But if you're gonna eat it, the Greek yogurt has the whey strained out, so you're eating pure casein (22g in a cup of greek yogurt vs 8g of total--i.e. whey and casein combined--protein in a cup of regular full fat yogurt)...but if you can do without dairy altogether, that is your best bet.
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 11-11-2012 at 12:38 PM.

plastic is offline Junior Member
    not sure about their distribution, but i just discovered a yogurt from Dreaming Cow..."cream top" made with non-homogenized grass fed cow's milk, it's beautiful pale yellow like kerrygold butter, and delicious

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    Im curious as to why greek gods plain yogurt has pectin in it? Why is that in there?

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    I have found several at our WF. Ask them if they can start carrying a specific brand or a full fat of one of the current brands they have...

If you have a WF store, does that mean you also have a smaller health food store or co-op? Try that. Greek Gods and Fage are pretty popular here. Oikos?

Dump a container of plain, full fat yogurt into a cheesecloth over a bowl. Twist the corners to squeeze out the liquid. Continue putting pressure on the tied up mass to get out as much liquid as you can. Take that mass and put it in strainer over a bowl (cheesecloth should not touch bottom of bowl) and refrigerate for 2-3 more hours to allow the rest of the liquid to drain out. Put tied up ball of cheesecloth/yogurt back in to sink and press on it to get out any remaining liquid.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    Trader Joe's didn't carry any Fage but Wegmans has it but its the large container. So yummy when mixed with avocado, diced tomatoes, cilantro, onions! Makes a nice mayo replacement and its good on chicken. Also, use it with organic salsa and put it on my eggs.
    Health is Wealth!

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
    Im curious as to why greek gods plain yogurt has pectin in it? Why is that in there?
    So they can list a higher number next to "Fiber" on the label and boost sales.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast