Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Oscar Mayer bacon inherently bad or is it ok to eat? page

candy corn is offline Member

Is Oscar Mayer bacon inherently bad or is it ok to eat?

Primal Fuel
    aside from the questionable sourcing of the pork for the bacon(we can't all afford grass fed super premium meat sources) is it really all that bad?

these are the ingredients:

Cured with: Water , Salt , Sugar , Sodium Ascorbate , Sodium Nitrite

seems to be standard fare for store bought bacon of any variety.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I think as with all packaged bacons, it's the nitrites and nitrates that have raised concerns.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Raven29 is offline Junior Member
    An alternative may be the uncured version that they offer.

Ingredients: PORK, WATER, SEA SALT, EVAPORATED CANE SYRUP, CULTURED CELERY JUICE.

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I think as with all packaged bacons, it's the nitrites and nitrates that have raised concerns.
    well the same nitrates used in bacon like oscar mayer are also found in the veggies we eat. and i recall a post mark did on bacon that said nitrates in bacon were not cause for alarm. I myself don't make it a habit but when i want some bacon i'll buy several packs of oscar mayer microwave bacon and stuff my face and have no qualms about it.

Timthetaco Guest
    This is a pretty good article about bacon. Could America

Anti-bacon sentiment generally has three points: it has sugar, it has nitrates, it has too much omega-6. I myself am not concerned with any of those, really, so I enjoy the bacon. If it's the most you can afford, I think Oscar Mayer will be fine. Enjoy!

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    I look at it this way. I eat bacon several times a week ranging from the store bought to butcher cut. Then I fry up my eggs in the grease. This breakfast has been heavily frowned upon for a generation now yet I'm losing all kinds of weight. When I ate pop tarts and cereal for breakfast the same cannot be said. It's all the evidence I need.

bdlee73 is offline Member
    I've read the same about nitrates: at the molecular level the naturally occurring nitrates are the same as industrial sourced nitrates.

snoops is offline Senior Member
    Oscar Meyer has a new one out with no sugar and says the nirtates and such are only naturally occuring in celery juice. I think the ingreidients are pork and celery juice. Don't have any in the fridege right now or I would check. Kroger carries it.

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snoops View Post
    Oscar Meyer has a new one out with no sugar and says the nirtates and such are only naturally occuring in celery juice. I think the ingreidients are pork and celery juice. Don't have any in the fridege right now or I would check. Kroger carries it.
    My Open Nature brand from safeway is the same. $4.59 a package roughly.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think the nitrates are fine. Someone had posted a Chris Kesser article on nitrates here a while back. I would be more concern about the source of pork used. If it is what you can afford at the moment then go for it but don't make it a habit to eat all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast