Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations in the UK for pull up bars? page

Screamer is offline Member

Recommendations in the UK for pull up bars?

Shop Now
    Hi guys,

Went to buy a pull up bar from Argos and it was utterly rubbish and didn't fit together properly. Anyone suggest a good pull up bar to use at home from somewhere else online or in store? I really need the ones that just hook on rather than screw in.

Thanks.

zilog is offline Senior Member
    For anything like that I normally look on Amazon first. It is almost as cheap as eBay plus you get the reviews to help guide your purchase. Just go for something in your price range that has mainly 4/5 star reviews.

FWIW I would recommend the telescopic screw-in type. They are very stable and any damage the screws cause can be easily repaired with a bit of filler and paint if you need to remove it. Plus as you have it set up all the time it is great for "greasing the groove".

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    I just got mine from amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodymax-Door...1092326&sr=8-3

I went for this one.

I am around 77kg and it seems to hold my weight fine and was very easy to setup without screws on a strong door frame.

Pull ups and chin ups are the hardest exercises going in my opinion.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Thanks guys, really helpful. AdamC29 did that one damage the door when it was on at all though? I'm in rented accomodation so need to be careful. Ideally wanted one of those that just hook on and off but can't decide which to get hmmmmm Other than sports direct i don't know of any cheapish sports shops around?

Man of Kent is offline Senior Member
    I went for this one from Amazon - JML Iron Gym - The Original Total Upper Body Workout Bar: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

No need to screw it in etc. I've had it for about 18 months now and it's been absolutely fine. Best 20 quid I ever spent, cancelled my 50 a month gym membership, pretty much just follow the primal blueprint fitness plan and throw in a few other body weight exercises and I'm in the best shape of my life!

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    I'm just in the process of buying a York Fitness "Workout Tower" from someone on eBay. It's supposed to be up to the job but we'll see. They're on Amazon for under 100, supposedly half price.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Thanks guys, it's so great to hear everyone so positive! I desperately need to get fit and tone and loose the chub i've acquired and i think this is going to be the way to do it! Annoying that i have a sprained ankle at the mo though so can't do any of the sprinting stuff!

Have gone for that one you mentioned Man of Kent, just hope it fits on my doors ok, if not, guess i send it back and start again fingers crossed though xx

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I've used the Iron Gym one that hooks over the door frame and it did some damage to the plasterboard, and pulled the frame a bit - you also need doors that are not hard up against a wall for them to sit right - just a few inches of wall either side of the door you choose is all you need, but most of my doors are not like this. I now have one that mounts into cups screwed onto the door frame, this would leave very little damage, a 1 tube of decorators caulk would fill the holes so you would really have to look to see where it has been, but on the other hand, scewing it out so the little pressiure indicator windows show green not red has cracked the walls arround the door frame a bit (again I'll just bunk some caulk in and a quick brush full of mangnolia and it's sorted) I'm begin to suspect I have a shit house

Mp preference would be for a screwed to the frame one - far more solid, and you can do more stuff like going upside down if you are a bit flash, or it's easier to use resistance bands if you are working up to being flash.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
    Thanks guys, really helpful. AdamC29 did that one damage the door when it was on at all though? I'm in rented accomodation so need to be careful. Ideally wanted one of those that just hook on and off but can't decide which to get hmmmmm Other than sports direct i don't know of any cheapish sports shops around?
    I don't know yet. I get most of my gym equipment from amazon or ebay. nearly always cheaper and the top rated sellers are trustwothy.

Pull ups/chin ups are seriously hard but I reckon you get more bang for your buck with them than anything else.

I am up to 4 sets of 5 (7 being the most I have ever done) and I am seriously blowing afterwards.

Take your time building it up though as it is easy to injured yourself, particularly your arms in my experience
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast