Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil and weight page

shezian is offline Junior Member

Coconut oil and weight

Primal Fuel
    Hi
    I eat a pretty low fat diet, and ony eat one meal per day consisting mainly of lean protein and vegetables with maybe a tsp of olive oil. And low fat dairy. Now l,have switched to high fat diary after reading that fat is good. I would like to add coconut oil to my daily diet, eventually building up to 3-4 tbs per day, but am worried l will gain weight. I am at the perfect weight, for my height, if anything l could lose 2-3 kilos.
    The reason l would like to add coconut oil to my diet is l may have an autoimmune disease and l have read this may help.

Regards Sue

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    The fat will likely displace calories from other sources because it will fill you up more. There's that.

Also, I'd track the calories in that one meal on cronometer.com. You might find you have room to add more calories than you think.

Picture this...

My meal tonight was:

1 tbsp of coconut oil
    1.17 lbs grass-fed ground beef
    7 egg omelet
    3 cups of mustard greens
    1 cup of sauerkraut
    1/2 cup salsa

And all that was about 1,700 calories. And I walked six miles today. I think I'm not going to gain anything.

Stay active and you will find that you can eat more than you think you could and not gain weight.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 10-24-2012 at 03:03 AM.

Kristin5 is offline Junior Member
    Coconut oil is good for the immune system. It contains antimicrobial lipids, capric acid and caprylic acid which have antibacterial and antiviral properties.

Kristin5 is offline Junior Member
    And body converts lauric acid into monolaurin which is claimed to help in dealing with viruses and bacteria

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shezian View Post
    Hi
    I eat a pretty low fat diet, and ony eat one meal per day consisting mainly of lean protein and vegetables with maybe a tsp of olive oil. And low fat dairy. Now l,have switched to high fat diary after reading that fat is good. I would like to add coconut oil to my daily diet, eventually building up to 3-4 tbs per day, but am worried l will gain weight. I am at the perfect weight, for my height, if anything l could lose 2-3 kilos.
    The reason l would like to add coconut oil to my diet is l may have an autoimmune disease and l have read this may help.

Regards Sue
    The word on the street is that the type of fat coconut oil is composed of (MCT) is burned readily and unlikely to be stored by the body. It also generates ketones and is supposedly helps you lose weight/burn more energy. I know that the weeks where I eat some coconut oil I lose the most weight.

shezian is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    The word on the street is that the type of fat coconut oil is composed of (MCT) is burned readily and unlikely to be stored by the body. It also generates ketones and is supposedly helps you lose weight/burn more energy. I know that the weeks where I eat some coconut oil I lose the most weight.

These are all the reasons why l would like to incorporate coconut oil. But as the saying goes if you eat more calories than you burn weight gain will result. So hence why l am asking the question on coconut oil.
    I want to regain my health but not at the expense of weight gain.

I will start with 1 tbs per day for a week and see how l go. Then build from there.

Sue

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    I heard of that before.

For someone who needs to eat more calories, should they use an alternative to coconut oil? Would cooking with lard for instance, and adding lard to foods, give me more long-lasting energy than coconut oil?

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Why does it have to be either/or? Use good fats in reasonable amounts for your activity levels and goals. Right now, coconut oil is the darling of paleo and low carb lifestyles, and it may indeed have the edge over other fats for immune boosting properties. But I'm not throwing out my bacon fat, salmon oil (not used for cooking, only as a supplement), lard or olive oil and replacing them all with c.o.

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    Assuming you're right at your calorie threshold, it'll take ~30 tablespoons of oil to gain a pound of body weight, all other variables constant. I say try it and see what happens. If you gain a pound this month, you can always try something else next month.
    I wish I liked to eat liver.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    ^ I second that. It takes a whole lot of effort and willpower to chug down enough coconut oil to make you gain a pound. If you do gain weight, it's most likely due to other factors in your diet. And anyway, you should not rely on the scale day to day, because your weight will fluctuate widely depending on your size, it could be because you've eaten a large meal, retained a lot of water, haven't done #2 in a day or two, trust me, it's hard to gain a pound a day and have it be purely packed on as fat.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast