Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tis the season, so let's talk about pumpkin page

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member

Tis the season, so let's talk about pumpkin

Shop Now
    Hi everyone.
    I tried out a great recipe for pumpkin "porridge" this morning that involves about a cup of canned pumpkin, eggs, almond milk, and a few spices. It filled me up for hours in a way that, I've personally found, meat and vegetables just don't. It's making me wonder whether I've been keeping my carbs too low (I've been averaging 30g a day... usually in the form of an avocado and a pile of kale at dinner, plus maybe 5 olives some nights).

Let's say I did this cup of pumpkin every day... am I asking for trouble? Is there danger of weight gain -- even if I make this my chief chunk of carbs for the day and stay under 100g (maybe even under 50g) for the whole day? Pumpkin seems to be among the least starchy of the safe-starch vegetables, from what I've read... but is it still too much to be an everyday thing?

Thanks so much guys.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I eat 2 pounds of pumpkins (Japanese kabocha) daily for years and nope, I am nowhere near fat. If you are trying to watch carbs, I would advise against eating a ton, if not, go for it.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    It's making me wonder whether I've been keeping my carbs too low (I've been averaging 30g a day... usually in the form of an avocado and a pile of kale at dinner, plus maybe 5 olives some nights).
    I have found that for me, adding more carbs back in did the trick. I feel better, I cut the fat when I increased the carbs, and weight loss is happening faster than the VLC/HF. I am still well under 150 (net) Still well under SAD.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    I've been making a mini "bread" loaf in the microwave with just 1 egg, 100g pumpkin,and some spices daily for months and nothing has happened to me. except feeling like im eating a cake when im not and it makes me happy. i say go for it.

you can also replace the pumpkin with mashed squash/banana/sweet potato/really mashed anything. incredibly amazing.

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I have found that for me, adding more carbs back in did the trick. I feel better, I cut the fat when I increased the carbs, and weight loss is happening faster than the VLC/HF. I am still well under 150 (net) Still well under SAD.
    Great to hear im not the only one with a similar experience. Could you give me a rough idea of your carb/fat/protein breakdown? Also why kind of carbs did you add in (ie greens? Starches? Fruits? Nightshades?)

I should probably note that my activity level is 30-60 mins of brisk walking (often carrying loads of books or groceries) every day
    Last edited by PrimalStudent; 10-24-2012 at 06:27 AM.

operamom is offline Junior Member
    I've noticed that when I eat butternut and acorn squash not only does the scale stall, but my weight goes up. Does this happen to anyone else? I currently have about 15 pounds to lose and I feel like I am always teetering.......down 2, up 2, down 2, up 2 etc. Any advice for breaking this pattern would be appreciated!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Are you sure it's the squash? The calories and carbs are fairly negligible unless you are eating a ton, and even so, it is quite hard to eat 7000 excess calories' worth of pumpkins...
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Hi everyone.
    I tried out a great recipe for pumpkin "porridge" this morning that involves about a cup of canned pumpkin, eggs, almond milk, and a few spices. It filled me up for hours in a way that, I've personally found, meat and vegetables just don't. It's making me wonder whether I've been keeping my carbs too low (I've been averaging 30g a day... usually in the form of an avocado and a pile of kale at dinner, plus maybe 5 olives some nights).

Let's say I did this cup of pumpkin every day... am I asking for trouble? Is there danger of weight gain -- even if I make this my chief chunk of carbs for the day and stay under 100g (maybe even under 50g) for the whole day? Pumpkin seems to be among the least starchy of the safe-starch vegetables, from what I've read... but is it still too much to be an everyday thing?

Thanks so much guys.
    I love eating winter squash. Kabocha, butter cup, pumpkin, acorn, carnival... they do fill me up like no other. I can eat a ton of it and still stay under 60g carbs/day if I avoid my chocolate. I'm not a bread/cracker/rice craver so that is never an issue.

This sounds like a custard. I would also opt for cooking your own pumpkin and not going the canned route. You just cut the squash in half, take out seeds and bake (cut side down) on a baking pan lined with parchment or tin foil at 375 for about an hour or until you can pierce skin easily with a fork. Let it cool and scoop out the soft 'meat'. That way you can have enough for a few days of recipes.

Yum. Those colorful squash are very, very nutrient dense. Avoid Americanizing the recipes by adding brown sugar and marshmallows and you are OK. Sweet potato/cranberry is also a great flavor combination!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I eat 2 pounds of pumpkins (Japanese kabocha) daily for years and nope, I am nowhere near fat. If you are trying to watch carbs, I would advise against eating a ton, if not, go for it.
    I can do this, too! Kabocha is the best flavor ever. I need to grow them. Do you?

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by operamom View Post
    I've noticed that when I eat butternut and acorn squash not only does the scale stall, but my weight goes up. Does this happen to anyone else? I currently have about 15 pounds to lose and I feel like I am always teetering.......down 2, up 2, down 2, up 2 etc. Any advice for breaking this pattern would be appreciated!
    yeah like damiana said id look at the other things you're eating first. An entire pound of of either squash is under 50g carbs and less than 200 calories. I'd say eating a pound of wither a day would be perfectly fine but i'd assume you're not eating near that much. also a pound of pumpkin is less than 100 calories. EAT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN STUFF IN YOUR FACE i say!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast