Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Considering Paleo page 6

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Jenny,

I'd just like to say a little 'welcome'. I'm genuinely glad that you found this WOE, gave it a chance, and have found the benefits.

I too came to Primal/Paleo from a sick perspective, though one much different from yours. And I have also found an amazing degree of healing with this diet/WOE (I don't consider it a 'diet'). 15 years of RSD/CRPS (recently recognized as an autoimmune disease) in the entire right half of my body including 10 surgeries and years of pain meds, IIH and severe complicated migraines (also both autoimmune connected) with terrible neurological symptoms.
    This has changed my life. I'm not 100% cured and my never be, but I'm now a really functional human being again since only January.

Keep it up!
    It's always good to have another encouraging voice for those with questions.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

angie is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfedei View Post
    Angie,

I'm so glad you posted your question here. I don't know if you saw my first post or not, but when I started this thread, I was VERY skeptical in the beginning. I had tried so many types of diets, of which none really worked. I had reached the point where I had almost given up.

In answer to your question, yes I do take medications, however, I am already down to the lowest possible dosage on all my meds due to the radical changes in my body since going Primal. I take Metformin 500mg ER for diabetes, Lisinipril 10 mg (down from 20 mg), Lipitor 10 mg (also down from 20 mg) and also Synthyroid -- of which I'll always have to take because my thyroid was thrashed years ago, but no problem there. My blood pressure "with meds" was running pre-hypertensive and my doctor was about to increase my Lisinipril from 20 to 40.... INSTEAD he lowered it as of last week and told me "I don't know what it is you're doing, but keep doing it! My blood pressure this past week has been a little on the low side, so I may be completely off that medication very soon! Before going Primal, my fasting blood sugars were around 100 to 110 in the morning. I now have them down to the 80's!! I'm hoping to be off that medication sometime soon as well. As far as cholesterol goes, I need to get another panel run, but I won't be surprised if I'm off that med as well.

All this to say, this is only the 'tip' of the iceberg of what I've experienced thus far. My skin looks fabulous, my hair is growing in a little thicker. I'm sleeping better at night and I've lost my constant cravings for carbs and sugars. I heard that some people experience a few minor side effects at first, but I can honestly say the only side effect I've experienced is increased energy and an overall feeling of well being. I'm also sleeping better at night and down two sizes as of yesterday!! It's been a phenomenal experience all the way around and I'm never going back to my Vegan diet again!! I

I've become so passionate about all the changes that have taken place that I'm putting together a blog and a support group based on Mark's books and supplements. I would love to have you join me! I would be happy to partner with you for added support if you're interested.

As I stated earlier, I was very skeptical about the whole diet, but someone on this thread suggested that I simply give it a try for 30 days and see how I felt. I'm so glad I listened!! I have since cleaned out my pantry of all the bad foods (I donated them to a food bank) and replaced everything with Paleo friendly recipes and baking. I've discovered a whole new way of cooking (and eating) that is soooo satisfying and good! Last weekend I made Paleo Banana Nut muffins, I made up a batch of Paleo Lasagna and I'm enjoy a decent breakfast of bacon and eggs every morning. Other mornings I use Marks Protein Powder and make up some delicious concoctions in the blender.

Seriously Angle, I would say RUN don't walk to your nearest Amazon.com or bookstore and pick up your copy of the Primal Blueprint book and the 21 Day Challenge. I have all of Mark's books now, but those two are my favorites. There are so many websites out there with amazing recipes that you'll never grow tired of the many options available.

Most of all, I feel so amazing and good now. I jumped in head first and I'm never looking back again!

I would say that if you do make the decision to go Primal, educate yourself as you go along. Don't wait until things are perfect in your life, just do it. If you're taking medications, be sure to work in conjunction with your doctor. Have him (or her) monitor your progress and be willing to adjust your medications accordingly. Pay attention to your body and perhaps keep a journal.

If you need support, please let me know if I can help. I would love to connect with you!

Best of luck to you!
    Jenny
    Jenny,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. Yes, I did read your first post. That is why I was so interested in your story and how this is working for you. I am 47, and it seems my health is getting worse every day. I am so discouraged. My boss actually gave me the book, Primal Blueprint, because she sees what I am going through and how completely FRUSTRATED I am. I was diagnosed with high cholesterol several years ago. I started with a low-dose statin that has now been increased to 80 mg. The dr. added niaspan and Lovaza after that. (of course, not all at one time....seems like once per year, he "adds" something) Then I was diagnosed with high blood pressure - very odd since my bp has always been on the low side. My dr. started me on a diuretic and after a year or so, added Lisinopril. Well......I lost 20 lbs recently by eating little, but eating TONS of fruit. Went to the dr. for labs last month.....triglycerides are 650! Of course, this is considered to be the danger zone. My fasting sugar was also elevated at 108. The dr. sent me to an endocrinologist last week. She did blood work and a glucose tolerance test. I do not have any results yet. I also go for an ultrasound of my thyroid in two weeks. Needless to say, I am sure Metformin is right around the corner for me. After much soul searching and research, I am starting to believe this is all a vicious cycle of meds. It is crazy that I am on all of this stuff, and I feel horrible. I am reading the book and reading these posts, but I am really considering this lifestyle change. It just scares me silly. I will keep you posted though and thank you again for replying so quickly. (I will definitely need support - ha!)

Angie

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456