Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Considering Paleo page 4

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Welcome Jenny! I'm new too and so far it's working well for me. I just want to say I didn't really experience much of any carb flu either so it seems to vary for everybody. As a female newbie I was really happy to read the "She-Groks" thread over in the odds and ends section of the forum, just scroll around and you'll find it. But really the whole forum is awesome. MOST people are really helpful and nice. Good luck!
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Oh yeah, and I am SOOOOO trying that Avocado Chocolate Moussse!!!
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

jfedei is offline Member
    Me too!!

Quote Originally Posted by excursivey View Post
    Oh yeah, and I am SOOOOO trying that Avocado Chocolate Moussse!!!

jfedei is offline Member
    Made it though day 1. Interestingly enough, instead of feeling tired tonight as I usually do, I feel energetic. Finished going through my kitchen today and boxed up 3/4's of my cabinets. Initially I thought I would toss it all in the trash, but thought better. I'm taking unopened items to the food bank tomorrow to drop off.

It was such a busy day that I ended up running to the grocery store for Paleo convenience food and actually did pretty good. Picked up a ready made 'natural' rotisserie chicken and scooped up some salad greens and veggies from the salad bar to take home. Ate that with some sugar snap peas sauteed in coconut oil. Not bad.

The only side effect I'm having at the moment is a craving for sweets. I usually eat ice cream, but tonight I opted for a peach after dinner. Thinking with my sweet tooth, that it may be a good idea to keep fresh fruit around to take the edge off any craving for sweets. Will definitely give that Avocado treat a try!!

hey, jfedei your new here but, you can learn many thinks from these forum as, i am also struggling

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Well, it seems like a lot of people didn't experience what I did. I was actually surprised at my reaction, since I was already pretty much gluten free and not a fan of breads/crackers/chips. I was tired. Just drained. Cravings weren't bad, but I didn't go cold turkey with the sugar. I continued to eat my dark chocolate with abandon.

I loved the picture of your cleaning frenzy. I did that when my son and I went gluten free a few years ago. I replaced it all with gluten free this and gluten free that. I again cleaned it out when I went Primal in July. Since I'm not the only one living here, the non-primal crap has slowly worked its way back in. Curses.

What I found helped me with hunger and cravings was to increase fat intake. I felt the best eating fatty cuts of rib eye. Exactly the opposite of what I expected! Vegans and cardiac rehab patients would be appalled by the way I inhale that grilled fat. The first meal of the day I eat has to be fatty and protein heavy or else I set myself up for grazing all day. I do best eating no breakfast, a huge lunch and very small dinner. That doesn't mesh with being a stay at home mom well. Our one sit down family meal of the day has me eating only a tiny bit and gathering comments from my husband about how little I eat. If only he sat down with me 6 hours earlier to eat the 1000 calorie lunch!

Congratulations on taking the plunge!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfedei View Post
    Made it though day 1. Interestingly enough, instead of feeling tired tonight as I usually do, I feel energetic. Finished going through my kitchen today and boxed up 3/4's of my cabinets. Initially I thought I would toss it all in the trash, but thought better. I'm taking unopened items to the food bank tomorrow to drop off.

It was such a busy day that I ended up running to the grocery store for Paleo convenience food and actually did pretty good. Picked up a ready made 'natural' rotisserie chicken and scooped up some salad greens and veggies from the salad bar to take home. Ate that with some sugar snap peas sauteed in coconut oil. Not bad.

The only side effect I'm having at the moment is a craving for sweets. I usually eat ice cream, but tonight I opted for a peach after dinner. Thinking with my sweet tooth, that it may be a good idea to keep fresh fruit around to take the edge off any craving for sweets. Will definitely give that Avocado treat a try!!
    Congratulations on your first day, Jenny! You have done so well. Great to hear you feeling so energetic and inspired, long may that continue.

jfedei is offline Member
    Hey, I just wanted to touch base again with everyone who was so kind to offer support. I am totally floored with the transformation that has taken place in my body over the past few days. I sat down and made a list of noted 'improvements' this morning and believe that I have finally stumbled on something that is going to work for me for the long haul. Here is what I have experienced thus far...

*Weight loss of 4 pounds in just a few days - and without any hunger!
    *Sugar cravings have pretty much gone. A handful of sweet grapes seems to take the edge off in a pinch
    *Increased energy
    *Sleeping better at night
    *More alert - brain fog is gone after weeks of struggling!
    *Knee and join pain is beginning to subside
    *Edema in my legs has subsided
    *Digestion improved - no longer that feeling of bloat
    *Have a sense of well being in general
    *The biggest win of all is that that past year my fasting blood sugars have been ranging from 100 - 120 --- they are now in the upper 80's to 90's range!!!!!!! Blown away here!!!!!!!

The only negatives is that my sugars dropped so quickly yesterday that I had to eat a little dark chocolate followed by a bit of chicken and avocado. They were sill within normal ranges, but my body seems to be in a bit of shock over the dramatic change. I think it will adjust. I'm finding that I have to monitor my blood sugars closely though because if it drops any further, I will likely have to stop taking my Metformin!!!!!! I'm already on the lowest dose, so the next step is to eliminate it entirely. I'm getting closer!!

I still would like to lose allot more weight, but I'm surmising that if I stick to this I will continue to drop pounds. I'm keeping my total carb intake no higher then 100 g per day as Mark suggested in his blog.

I had posted pictures of all the food I purged from my kitchen cabinets earlier this past week. I donated most of it to the food bank. Yesterday, I went out and picked up some coconut, almond and flax meal flours so that I can start experimenting with some of the Paleo/Primal recipes I've come across. I've collected over 200 Paleo recipes on my Pinterest account already and I ordered all of Mark's books from Amazon.com. I've even downloaded all his 'free' information from his website and put it into a binder for reference. Due to the amount of damage my body has sustained over the years, I ordered all his supplements. The basic 3, Damage Control, and his protein supplement powder for those days when I'm in too much of a hurry to fix anything. It will come in handy.

I'm what one would call an excellent cook and baker. I'm known within my own community for some of the dishes and desserts I've prepared over the years. This morning I went through all my recipes and have a box full of books that I'll be donating to the Library this week- all of them vegan. Since going off the grain and beans, I feel so much better. I can't justify eating those foods again. My other favorite recipes have been put into a box for future modification to a Paleo diet. I'm having to retrain my kitchen practices to fit my new diet. I do love occasional treats, so I plan to indulge in them once in awhile, but only those that are Paleo friendly. At some point I would like to be able to bake Paleo treats maybe once a week as part of my diet.

Eating out is not so bad either. Yesterday my husband and I went to Hosses for dinner and I ordered the grilled wild caught salmon, with lemon and dill sauce, a sweet potato with pure butter and piled my plate high at the salad bar with lots of veggies and full fat salad dressing, rather then going for the fat free versions. Instead of the dessert bar, I piled my plate with a few fresh fruits. It was to die for and I felt very satisfied!

I'm stunned with how quickly my body has seemed to adapt to this. It's as if it has been starving for it! No flu like symptoms.. nothing!

I'm looking forward to starting a new workout program this week -- Les Mills Body Pump -- and will try to get to the gym to swim laps between my workouts. For the first time in a long time, I have hope that I can finally turn things around in my life. I'm almost in tears as I'm writing this because to be honest, while I did expect to see a few changes, I had no idea that it would be this quickly and of this magnitude. I'm trying to imagine how much better it will be a month from now, two, three, six and a year from now.

Yesterday, I also ordered a my Thanksgiving turkey from our local coop - free range, no hormones etc... Dinner this year will be 100% Paleo. There is much to be thankful for. I'm grateful for finding this forum and for the support I've received here as well as from Mark's team. I called this past week a couple of times and they were phenomenal in answering questions and offering encouragement. I hope someday I can do the same for someone else.

Will be exploring other parts of this form as time permits. It's been an amazing week, but the journey has just begun! Such good news I could not keep to myself. Had to share.

Be blessed and have a great week everyone!

Jenny
    Last edited by jfedei; 10-28-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Eating out is not so bad either. Yesterday my husband and I went to Hosses for dinner and I ordered the grilled wild caught salmon, with lemon and dill sauce, a sweet potato with pure butter and piled my plate high at the salad bar with lots of veggies and full fat salad dressing, rather then going for the fat free versions. Instead of the dessert bar, I piled my plate with a few fresh fruits. It was to die for and I felt very satisfied!
    I could eat this every day, every meal. Fabulous, uncomplicated, tasty, satisfying food. This is why I don't understand why people struggle with 'staying primal' or why they feel the need to tinker with primal-ized versions of substandard CW foods.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So glad it is going well for you the next thing for you will be the zipper you have to install on your lips so you don't go round telling everyone how great it is and telling them where they are going wrong. CW people just think you are nuts. LOL. Sounds like you are having a similar experience to me. I have had to cut out dairy and eggs though now too.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast