Hi all! I heard of the Paleo diet awhile back, but never really gave it much thought until very recently. I'm 55 years old, have diabetes, high cholesterol and hypertension. I'm on prescribed medications for all of those diseases unfortunately. I would be happy to drop about 50 pounds right now as my eating habits are atrocious and I seldom exercise. I'm a mess!!

The oxymoron in all of this is that I'm a nurse. Much of my job involves educating patients on ways they can improve their health. I have struggled with weight issues all my life and have finally reached the point where it's do or die because my health is suffering. In the past few years I tried going Vegan. While my cholesterol dropped, my blood sugars spiked sending me in to full blown diabetes, but the worst of it was that I felt awful... tired, brain fog, listless. My body seems to do better with a more low carb approach.

This past week, I did a few Google searches, hence how I found this forum. I also picked up a Paleo book for my Kindle and have started reading through it. I'm not one to just dive in without knowing all the particulars first so I do have some questions for you more advanced members...

I would love to get my cholesterol, blood sugars and blood pressure numbers down. Given my age and that I'm in menopause, weight loss has not easy for me. I'm curious to know what others out there have experienced. Particularly for women in my situation.

I'm not 100% sold on the Paleo way just yet, so I'm basically here to 'learn and explore' all I can before I take the plunge. Since lowering cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugars are of the most importance to me, I'm curious to know how others have fared in those areas as well. What other benefits have you noticed since becoming Paleo? Would you recommend this to a female in her 50's and beyond?

I had explored Atkins, but found it to be too restrictive with regard to the consumption of vegetables and fruits. I like the fact that the Paleo way offers plenty of those lovely nutrients! It's looking promising, but I need more information still.

Can't wait to hear all about your experiences.

Best,
Jenny