Thread: Bone Broth and The Joy of Marrow page

Greg51 is offline Junior Member

Bone Broth and The Joy of Marrow

Primal Fuel
    I have been making bone broth in the crock pot from grass fed beef bones and thanks to you all I have discovered the awesomeness that is marrow

I have found that the beef bones after a couple days simmering in the crock become quite soft and edible. I know some people eat chicken bones, but what about beef bones? Is it safe? Is there any nutritional value or has it all been cooked out?

I tend to trust the signals from my body and I like eating the bones so does that mean there is something to it or have I lost my primal mind?

Greg

Caveman_Sam is offline Member
    Hi Greg

The fact that you're asking the question implies that you haven't lost your mind.

Lots of other animals eat bone - dogs, lions, and humans.

When you buy canned salmon, it often comes with bones and they're small enough you can eat them without a problem...

cyro_349 is offline Junior Member
    I buy foreshank (shoulder) lamb cuts and pork ribs and when I've finished eating the meat and fat I generally gnaw on the bones (though they generally need to be pretty well cooked in order to eat them that way) - I crunch the bones between my teeth in order to get to the marrow and if the bone is brittle enough I'll chew and eat it, otherwise I'll fish it out.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I havent made beef broth yet, but I do grind my chicken bones in my broth so I would grind my beef also when I get around to it. Seems like such a waste to strain all the bones and veggies off. I didnt really know if it had benefits or not, or if I should be doing that or not, but I like how nice and thick it is. Makes me feel like I am eating something more substantial like soup, rather than just drinking a cup of broth. DH, OTOH, hates the texture of the ground up bone broth. He won't hardly touch it.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey