Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: Using old cookbooks

Using old cookbooks

Shop Now
    I dug out an old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook from 1968 and found a great recipe for Vegetable Beef Soup, cooking on the stove right now. Also saw recipes for Creamed Sweetbreads, Chicken-Fried Heart, Liver Loaf, Scrambled Brains, and Hasenpfeffer (German for rabbit)...no low-fat cooking here!!!

They knew their stuff back then...it is like picking out a Julia Child cookbook and realizing you need to go to the store because one pound of butter won't do.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

My favorite thing to do is scour through old cookbooks and see how I can "primalize" the dish. Whether it be substitution flour or sweeteners or substituting cauliflower/parsnip for white potato. Primal eating calls for a lot of cooked meals and what better way than enjoying it! Cooking is a fun science!

I picked up a really old cookbook at a library book sale. It has tons of great recipes in it, including raccoon and possum!

I have a very old Fanny Farmer cookbook. I bought it new, back when I was 16 years old. Yes, it does have some very traditional recipes in it.

Oh, and today, I ordered "Nourishing Traditions" from Amazon, for some up-to-date traditional ideas

Some of the stuff I've found on the web:

Confederate Receipt Book - really an 1863 Confederate recipe book for food and misc household supplies from scratch. The cover is scanned, but the rest is typed out so it's legible.

Recipes for Victory: Food and Cooking in Wartime - not one book, but a collection WWI era cookbooks online.

Yeah, I'm kind of into vintage/antique stuff. You should see my sheet music collection!
    Durp.

it was mentioned in a youtube video I saw once, but I tracked down a diabetic cookbook from circa 1917 called "diabetic cookery"

Some great eats in it. its also available free on Google Play! Books.

Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    it was mentioned in a youtube video I saw once, but I tracked down a diabetic cookbook from circa 1917 called "diabetic cookery"

Some great eats in it. its also available free on Google Play! Books.
    Found it at Archive.org.

Very cool!
    Durp.

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Some of the stuff I've found on the web:

Confederate Receipt Book - really an 1863 Confederate recipe book for food and misc household supplies from scratch. The cover is scanned, but the rest is typed out so it's legible.

Recipes for Victory: Food and Cooking in Wartime - not one book, but a collection WWI era cookbooks online.

Yeah, I'm kind of into vintage/antique stuff. You should see my sheet music collection!
    Those sites are AWESOME!!!
    I remember my grandparents always had gardens (Victory Gardens) and never used cookbooks but they baked and cooked exactly like these recipes are written.
    My father and husband both still swipe a piece of bread through the grease/fat that's left in the pan after cooking/frying meat. Dad grew-up on a dairy farm and can't stand anything fat-free (God love him). We put butter on just about everything when I was going up and if Mom didn't get the cream skimmed off the top of the milk in the jar before my dad wanted milk, we were drinking half & half cuz he'd just shake it all together.
    Mmmmmm..... memories

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokkles View Post
    My favorite thing to do is scour through old cookbooks and see how I can "primalize" the dish. Whether it be substitution flour or sweeteners or substituting cauliflower/parsnip for white potato. Primal eating calls for a lot of cooked meals and what better way than enjoying it! Cooking is a fun science!
    I like to primalize recipes also. I was gifted with about 12 magazine subscriptions last xmas, even Vegetarian Times, and the closest one to primal food wise is Muscle & Fitness. The others give me great ideas, but I always have to change something. It's tons of fun.