Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I would like some abs

Hybrid View

I would like some abs

I don't think I've got that much fat on me, I've been doing SS for half a year and it's not doing it. Any tips?
    well then

Are you doing any ab work like planks?

Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    Are you doing any ab work like planks?
    No.. I like the idea of planks but my arms give up way before I even start to feel my abs..
    well then

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    No.. I like the idea of planks but my arms give up way before I even start to feel my abs..
    Are you sure you're doing planks correctly? You should be on you elbows, no your hands like a push up.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceCorpsCaveMan View Post
    Are you sure you're doing planks correctly? You should be on you elbows, no your hands like a push up.
    I think you can do them either way. But if you do them on your elbows, then you're obviously taking your arms out of the equation, so you fail when your abs fail rather than your arms.

As PrimalRob said, these are all good:

dragon flags
    L-sits
    hanging leg raises
    bear crawls
    reverse crunches
    medicine ball slams
    shoveglove/sledgehammer swings

Add in the following and you're gold

mountain climbers
    hanging knee raises (if you can't manage hanging leg raises)
    front levers (if hanging leg raises are easy)
    windshield wipers

(this doesn't mean that you need to get obsessive and build a workout containing all of the above though, just mix it up to hit your core from all sorts of angles and keep them guessing )

You should also check out http://www.youtube.com/user/TheF0rtress, He's around your age and does all bodyweight exercises.
    He does have a few videos that are about his religious beliefs/philosophy, but don't let those put you off if you're not into that.

He's got a lot of really good video tutorials showing different bodywieight exercises and progressions to get there.
    Last edited by Misabi; 10-23-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

As a personal trainer I hear this all the time. First it is true abs are made in the kitchen. You need low body fat to see them. But maybe more importantly, genetics has a lot to do with the 6 pack effect. Many folks just are never going to see a 6 pack no matter how low the body fat goes. The striation is just not there for some of us. Yet another thing to blame on mom and dad.

Thanks everybody.

I'll start off by doing mountain climbers, windshield wipers, and hanging knee raisesand planks. I have a weak core plus my legs are long so right now hanging leg raises and dragon flags and l sits are impossible.
    well then

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceCorpsCaveMan View Post
    Yeah I do them on my forearms
    well then

heatherdarbs Guest
    I would still do them. During the exercise, I can't feel much going on in my core, but my midsection is pretty fit for only doing planks. It also gets your tooshy and arms (as you know). I never would have thought planks a few times a week would give me visible obliques, but they're there.

You have abs...just hidden - Seriously.
    Abs are made in the kitchen but not all abs are the classic six pack.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!