Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food poisoning - what to eat? page

jonnyhollis is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Food poisoning - what to eat?

I had a dodgy curry on Saturday night. No alcohol or anything. I was good; no naan bread, rice or that crispy fried stodgy muck the restaurants are so proud of but several hours later, the stomach cramps started leading to obvious signs of food poisoning. This was the worst Monday am. By Monday evening it seamed to be over and I then happily ate as normal. Had some beef stew and sweet potatoes.

Unfortunately the food poisoning symptoms have returned in the last few hours. I've been Google-ing to try and get a consensus on what to eat and all I'm getting is carbs. The BRAT diet comes up a lot. Banana's (no probs), rice, applesauce and toast. I can't eat 3 of those. If I do, I'm afraid that I may trigger a several week long carb binge. So does anyone have any experience of what to eat when the sh1t hit's the fan? Well, in this case, not the fan.

Actually, maybe I'll go for some smoothies. Banana, blueberries and strawberries. But not just yet.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Food poisoning? Your body is telling you not to eat by projectile vomiting and pooping every few minutes while you lay pathetically in the shower to avoid soiling your bed, right?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

ragwort is offline Senior Member
    I think I would try some full fat Greek yogurt maybe with a little honey or some simple scrambled eggs or a boiled egg? Sort of 'nursery tea' food but still primal?

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Well, I wouldn't treat it any differently than the flu, personally. Eat what you crave (within reason), and/or lots of broth. Avoid dairy.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i wouldn't eat anything. let your body do it's thing and work through what's currently going on. eating more food will disrupt that process. definitely go with fasting.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Haven't been in one of those places for years. What they probably fry in ...

And God knows what the hygiene's like, as you just found out.

Do these people give any rationale for recommending high carb? If it's just a question of what that's their solution for everything then I'd count myself out of that.

Invalid food nowadays seems to be "dry toast". In the 19th-century it was often chicken broth or "beef tea". What's changed? ... because our physiology hasn't.

Maybe it would be a good time to fast for a little. I would certainly make sure you're getting enough fluids and a little broad-spectrum seasalt. (In fact, I have to wonder if the "beef tea" used to supply both fluid and electrolytes.) I think I might also get hold of a good probiotic and take it.

None of the above is a medical opinion. I really don't know about eating bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. If anyone can give you a good rationale as to why a super-high belt of carbs should help, then go for it. If not, why not either just give your stomach a break or eat the primal foods you normally would only in smaller amounts cautiously, and avoiding anything that makes you feel nauseous or that you sense is not right at the moment?

KotikBegemotik is offline Senior Member
    I second namelesswonder on the broth. Hot, fatty broth sipped slowly is wonderful. Maybe make some oolong tea for yourself to see if it won't settle your stomach. Slowly transition to unspiced, low salt boiled chicken (such as the stuff that you made the broth with) if you can stomach it. Treat your body kindly. Do not eat fruits or berries or nuts. They might retrigger things. Puree some boiled/steamed carrots. Eat that. Slowly. In small portions.

Drink some coconut water, if you can stomach it, to get your ions.

jonnyhollis is offline Junior Member
    Cheers for the advice!!

I'm not vomiting, so I guess I'll go for something simple and then get fasting again. I do have some probiotics, so I'll take them as well.

Does anyone have any rationale on why you shouldn't eat fruit? I would have thought a bit of sugar would be fine.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Some fruits contain compounds that can trigger further irritation, plus fruits are usually eaten raw so it makes it harder to break down within your stomach and digestive system. That's what we want to avoid. Stick to cooked food for the time being.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Food poisoning? Your body is telling you not to eat by projectile vomiting and pooping every few minutes while you lay pathetically in the shower to avoid soiling your bed, right?
    ^This

If all your "food poisoning" consists of is stomach cramps, then it probably has more to do with eating curry with no rice or bread to accompany it. By no means am I opposed to ketosis & low-carb, but a saucy, acidic meal like that really needs to have some starch included, or you're guaranteed to have some stomach upset.
    The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast