Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silly question about sprinting page

Silly question about sprinting

Primal Fuel
    This is going to be a silly question, and I feel ridiculous asking it, but what is the best way to start sprinting? A lot of things say to sprint for 30 seconds or a minute, rest a minute and then go again. However, I'm pretty sure I could maybe maintain a sprint for about 10 seconds if I'm going all out. How can I begin sprinting without injuring myself?
    Liz in Cleveland

Started Primal 7/17/12
    5'9"
    SW: 227.2
    CW: 213.6
    GW: 175

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    a sprint that takes 10-20 seconds is pretty good. if you have a hill nearby, sprint up the hill...it's a lot of work, but much easier on the body than flat sprints. basically, from your starting point, you run all out for 10-20 seconds, or until you just can't go anymore (that may only be a couple hundred feet) then slowly walk back to your starting point. rest for a bit, then start again. how much rest you take depends on your goals, but i would aim for 1-2 minutes. do that 6-10 times.

Thanks so much, Rob. :-)
    Liz in Cleveland

Started Primal 7/17/12
    5'9"

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    make sure to thoroughly warm up first. especially if you are new to sprinting. i like to do a general full body warmup, then run about 5 "warm-up" sprints. one at about 50%, one at about 60%, one at about 70%, then 80%, then 90%, then about 5-6 all out sprints. kind of build up to going all out

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    A 30s sprint actually sounds really long, and would require a lot of space. If you're going truly full out, 10-15s should be a good time. I just go to a big open field and pick to places to run between. After running 6 warm-ups at ~50%, I sprint one way and then walk back.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you have worked it out. Warm out, get ready and go. If it is 10s then sprint and done. Rest and go again.
    Next week go for 11s etc.
    Or choose a distance
    Or to Tabita sprints
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    a sprint that takes 10-20 seconds is pretty good. if you have a hill nearby, sprint up the hill...it's a lot of work, but much easier on the body than flat sprints. basically, from your starting point, you run all out for 10-20 seconds, or until you just can't go anymore (that may only be a couple hundred feet) then slowly walk back to your starting point. rest for a bit, then start again. how much rest you take depends on your goals, but i would aim for 1-2 minutes. do that 6-10 times.
    This is pretty much exactly what I do. I'm pretty sure my max time is something like 15-20s but I haven't timed it ever. I do know that it feels like less time than the 30s handstand holds (against wall, not freestanding) I do when training handstands - those feel like they'll never end when I get to the later sets.

Uphill is the way to go, way more brutal but with less chance of injury, it's a no brainer. I feel like flash when I sprint in flat ground, which is an added bonus.

Thank you all. This certainly makes me feel better about incorporating these into my life. I was getting discouraged before I even began, LOL.
    Liz in Cleveland

Started Primal 7/17/12
    5'9"

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    I like doing distance rather than time. I usually go 80-100 yards. rest a min or so, and go again.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    I like doing distance rather than time. I usually go 80-100 yards. rest a min or so, and go again.
    i definitely agree

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast