Thread: getting ready to ship out for basic training page

canes84 is offline Member

getting ready to ship out for basic training

Shop Now
    Hey all,

I am a 28 year old female and I recently decided to enlist in the National Guard. It is something that I have been wanting to do for a long time but the timing wasn't right until now. I'm shipping out on November 20th and I'm starting to get pretty stressed out. I know I will mostly be among 18 year olds but if you all can tell me a little more about what to expect that would be great. I know things have changed in the past few years so I'd like to hear from those of you that have been through it somewhat recently. I will be at Fort Leonard Wood.

steve.mull is offline Member
    First off thank you for enlisting and welcome to the Army. I was 25 when I went to basic and yes it will mostly be filled with 18-19 year olds, and yes they will be extremely annoying-whiny at times. Just try to be a good example and re-iterate that not having your cell phone is not the end of the world. Although who knows, they might even let you keep you cell phones there ( i hope not ). Other than that, your first few weeks are going to really suck, or be lots of fun. Just depends on what type of person you are and what you expect from the service. I expected the worst, and it wasn't even half as bad as I pictured so it was quite fun to me. Some of the younger folks who had never left home, had a job etc... thought it was hell. Other than that, just take it one day at a time, enjoy the experience and try to learn as much as possible, and just have fun. You get any questions just let me know.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I went to Army basic training back in the dark ages, when I was 18. We had one "older" (I laugh now!) woman who was 30 in my platoon. She was one of our best people--calm, able to handle stress a lot better than most everyone else, and a reassuring person to get opinions from. She had no problem doing any of the physical or classroom stuff that was required.

For the record, I loved basic training, and although I'd had a part time job, I went right from high school to the Army. Have a good attitude and it will be a breeze!

PaleoCowgirl is offline Senior Member
    Just wanted to stop in and say thank you for your service and good luck at basic training!

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    At the end of three months I was in the best shape of my life and if you want to know what to expect, expect to work very, very hard. I had fun though too. Rappelling out of helicopters and down cliffs, planning and executing ambushes in the woods in the dark, throwing grenades, learning to handle and fire a weapon (and be good at it!) - all fun.

Keep a good attitude, remember who you are - a strong, capable woman - and you will do well.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    What MOS? I'm a medic in the reserves, went to basic in the summer of 2007 at Fort Sill, OK.
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

Quote Originally Posted by joelwlcx View Post
    What MOS? I'm a medic in the reserves, went to basic in the summer of 2007 at Fort Sill, OK.
    Hey Joel,

I'm 31E, corrections.

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoCowgirl View Post
    Just wanted to stop in and say thank you for your service and good luck at basic training!
    Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by steve.mull View Post
    First off thank you for enlisting and welcome to the Army. I was 25 when I went to basic and yes it will mostly be filled with 18-19 year olds, and yes they will be extremely annoying-whiny at times. Just try to be a good example and re-iterate that not having your cell phone is not the end of the world. Although who knows, they might even let you keep you cell phones there ( i hope not ). Other than that, your first few weeks are going to really suck, or be lots of fun. Just depends on what type of person you are and what you expect from the service. I expected the worst, and it wasn't even half as bad as I pictured so it was quite fun to me. Some of the younger folks who had never left home, had a job etc... thought it was hell. Other than that, just take it one day at a time, enjoy the experience and try to learn as much as possible, and just have fun. You get any questions just let me know.
    Thanks to you all for the words of encouragement. I'm looking forward to just getting there but I'm not loving this whole anticipation phase. I keep hearing mixed things and I just want to get there and get through it. I've worked out most of my life and have been crossfitting 4-6 times a week for the past year. I've started running 2 miles a few times a week and doing extra push ups to help my body adjust since it's probably in for a rude awakening with these longer endurance workouts that I'll be facing..

I'm not so scared of the hard work as much as I am of not really being in contact with my loved ones. Although I've lived away from home for 11 years now it's still going to be hard not being able to communicate with my friends and family much.

Also, is AIT much better than basic?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    It kinda depends on where you go, but yes, AIT is typically better than basic. They are reducing and eliminating the drill sergeants at AIT, and the longer the AIT the more relaxed it tends to be. Usually about a month after you get to AIT you are allowed civilian clothes again. You may be allowed a TV in your locker, a computer, a cell phone, etc.

Every AIT is a little different, but they are typically much more relaxed that Basic Training.