Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lean gains and cortisol page

runner_79 is offline Senior Member

lean gains and cortisol

Shop Now
    does the fasting after a workout with a setup for the 1st meal being at 1pm cause a cortisol spike after training, even with some bcaa?

Meaning, train at 7am til 8:30am, meal 1 and feeding window starts at 1-8:30pm.

anybody care to eloborate...

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by runner_79 View Post
    does the fasting after a workout with a setup for the 1st meal being at 1pm cause a cortisol spike after training, even with some bcaa?

Meaning, train at 7am til 8:30am, meal 1 and feeding window starts at 1-8:30pm.

anybody care to eloborate...
    Who cares? People blab too much about hormones making things more complicated than they need to be. It's all about calories.

Ever hear about the placebo affect? Lean gains works because you lift weights and count calories, just like with any other program that works. As if berkhan invented getting ripped?

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    Who cares? People blab too much about hormones making things more complicated than they need to be. It's all about calories.

Ever hear about the placebo affect? Lean gains works because you lift weights and count calories, just like with any other program that works. As if berkhan invented getting ripped?
    Actually, LeanGains works because of the increases in GH secretion during fasting, the ingestion of tons of protein, yes, lifting weights, and the macro nutrient and caloric cycling. You don't count calories. But eating less carbs and calories on rest days and more on training days plays the starring role.

As for the cortisol increase? I agree. Who cares. Even if somebody said yes, what are you gonna do? If you have a problem with cortisol, then go watch a funny movie or something.
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    You can't stop the exercise induced cortisol increase by watching a funny movie.
    It's a very very simplified way to think about hormonal mechanisms.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post

i'm so with you here! the only thing you should know about hormones are that the big compound lifts will get your body making the right ones. berkhan is smart enough to know that much. the IF bit is just his way of doing it, but calories rule the roost for what he's trying to achieve.
    Last edited by jakey; 10-23-2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: spelling, the only reason i ever edit!

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    No it's not the only thing you should know about hormones.
    Hormones are very important of overall physical and mental health.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    You can't stop the exercise induced cortisol increase by watching a funny movie.
    It's a very very simplified way to think about hormonal mechanisms.
    No, of course not. I was joking that if he has a problem with excessive cortisol, he should find ways to reduce stress.
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

runner_79 is offline Senior Member
    does it have any effect on certain hormonal sites like poliquin biosig?
    I seem to lose lower an fat from lowered stress but my love handle site creeps up. seems to see some weird correlation with it and its Damn frustrating.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdilla View Post
    Actually, LeanGains works because of the increases in GH secretion during fasting, the ingestion of tons of protein, yes, lifting weights, and the macro nutrient and caloric cycling. You don't count calories. But eating less carbs and calories on rest days and more on training days plays the starring role.

As for the cortisol increase? I agree. Who cares. Even if somebody said yes, what are you gonna do? If you have a problem with cortisol, then go watch a funny movie or something.
    Isocaloric studies show that the number of meals doesn't matter. So the gh increase is just hype.

As for the large amounts of protein, studies show that isn't necessary or beneficial for muscle growth or maintenance.

I liked a lot of Martin's writings. But I am convinced that a few of the extra things he does from the basics simply isn't necessary. The best thing I learned from IF literature is that I don't have to be a slave to my diet in order to get good results. But that also means not buying into some extra made up crap such as BCAA's and other stuff.

That also includes carb cycling the way he does. I don't buy into it. The muscles are fueled by glycogen, so it seems backward to eat it after the workout.

And guess what. You burn the same number of calories no matter if you eat before or after your workout.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I will say that the leangains protocol has been good to me since I have been strict with it over the past few months. I agree with Ripped, that it may not be the carb cycling, BCAA's, etc. However, the diet does make cutting easier. On my workout days, I tend to work up an appetite like many of us do. Therefore, the increased calories and carbs just feel right and satisfy more. On my non workout days, eating lower carb but fattier meals also helps keep me full even though the calories are significantly less.

I don't think you can argue with all of the success stories, but that still doesn't mean there is some physiological growth hormone effect. At some point, it will be interesting to see a specific study of the effects of leangains to determine how it is really working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast