Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Melting points of different fats page

  1. #1
    Helen85's Avatar
    Helen85 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9

    Melting points of different fats

    Shop Now
    Hi guys, i have done some searching on this site and cant seem to find an exact answer to my question. In my biochemistry lecture yesterday we were talking about fats. Apparently the reason saturated fat is bad for us is because it has high melting point (69 degrees c) and this is why it sticks to arteries because our body is only about 37 degrees. Can anyone explain this to me. I am in the 'Saturated fat is prob not as bad as they say' camp but this lecture must made me question this.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Greenbeast's Avatar
    Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    539
    surely our bodies don't melt everything they consume, they deal with it on a molecular level

    i'm no qualified scientist but it sounds ridiculous! Does your body melt a steak when you eat it?

  3. #3
    yodiewan's Avatar
    yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    surely our bodies don't melt everything they consume, they deal with it on a molecular level

    i'm no qualified scientist but it sounds ridiculous! Does your body melt a steak when you eat it?
    Right. If you have undigested fat and proteins in your bloodstream, you have bigger worries than whether those things are clogging your arteries. Your digestive tract breaks down protein into amino acids and fats into triglycerides. These nutrients are then packaged in carrier molecules and delivered to cells throughout the body. At least that's my layman's understanding of it.

  4. #4
    Sabine's Avatar
    Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Dallas/Fort Worth Texas
    Posts
    5,203
    I would be questioning your lecturer. Apparently they have no understanding of digestion.
    Last edited by Sabine; 10-23-2012 at 04:46 AM. Reason: clarity

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Account closed
    Posts
    1,534
    Warning: do not inject bacon fat intravenously.

  6. #6
    Artbuc's Avatar
    Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen85 View Post
    Hi guys, i have done some searching on this site and cant seem to find an exact answer to my question. In my biochemistry lecture yesterday we were talking about fats. Apparently the reason saturated fat is bad for us is because it has high melting point (69 degrees c) and this is why it sticks to arteries because our body is only about 37 degrees. Can anyone explain this to me. I am in the 'Saturated fat is prob not as bad as they say' camp but this lecture must made me question this.

    Thanks
    You are kidding, right?

  7. #7
    namelesswonder's Avatar
    namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    12,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Warning: do not inject bacon fat intravenously.
    But won't that make me super-primal?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Account closed
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    But won't that make me super-primal?
    It gave me hairy n--, uhh, hairy knuckles.

  9. #9
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    Posts
    7,295
    You all are hard core. I've only ever snorted it.

  10. #10
    jfreaksho's Avatar
    jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,962
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    You all are hard core. I've only ever snorted it.
    But don't do that straight out of a fresh pan. Trust me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •