Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beef - anyone else have problems with it? page

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member

Beef - anyone else have problems with it?

Will get shot down no doubt here and I do eat grass fed beef where possible.

I love my beef, particularly the beef I get from the Farmers market but I am not sure it loves me.

I seem to react pretty badly to it.

Head cold, aches and Pains and just generally feeling rubbish.

I thought it could be something else at first but it is definitely beef.

Am i on my own with this?
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I'd try out eating other red meats such as lamb, bison, venison, ect. It may be an issue with red meats in general, or it may be limited to beef. But give it a try first, before you come to conclusions.

If it's an issue with red meats, then just stick to pork, fowl, eggs, ect. for your main protein sources.

If it's just beef specifically, then continue the red meat (grass-fed as much as possible) and keep the cow off the menu.

Does dairy from cows also cause issues?

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, milk causes me a few problems.

Lamb doesn't seem to cause problems in the past but will try the others as you say.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamC29 View Post
    Head cold, aches and Pains and just generally feeling rubbish.
    I had sort of cut back on beef, mainly just because I added in more fish, but also because I thought it was slowing down my weight loss. I think more what it was, was the increased fat in my diet overall, and also the fact that I think beef stays with me a little bit longer.

But you mention the aches... my ankles have been a little achy. I thought maybe from some new clogs I wore the other day, but I did have some beef the same day. I will have to pay attention to that the next time.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    My son had pretty major aversions to red meat as a toddler. We couldn't really figure it out aside from him just being picky. We had some allergy testing done (IgG- latent allergy) and he was highly reactive to beef and pork. I added a pancreatic enzyme called Creon to his diet and he immediately started eating burgers. It was bizarre. He must have just not felt well when he ate it and somehow made the connection or it was a crazy coincidence.

He also put on weight with the Creon for the first time in 18 months. 6lbs in 6 months. We were looking for that gain!

There are OTC pancreatic enzymes, too. I don't know enough about them to recommend any. It may or may not help you; I just thought I would pass on our experience with red meat and digestion.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamC29 View Post
    Yes, milk causes me a few problems.
    Is that ALL dairy causing issues, or specifically dairy from cows only? There may be something about the nature of beef that gets transferred into the dairy as well (such as a natural hormone in the animal) that is causing your issue.

Not sure what else to tell you about that though. If you're eating grass-fed, hormone-free beef, it's got to be something natural to the beef, and not something it was injected with.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Rather than trying to diagnose your beef issue I may just suggest going with other meats for the time being. I use to eat beef almost exclusively and even though I ate organs, bone broth, and all I started craving other meats. I've been eating a LOT of pork lately (just purchased a half hog). We do need to vary both our animal and plant sources to keep nutrient levels and toxicities in check. If you stick to only a few items for too long thats when both nutrient deficiencies (even if mild) and toxicities tend to build up.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    The other night I ordered a steak at dinner. I asked for it rare. The waiter warned it would be cold in the middle. I said fine. It had the appearance of being raw in the middle. It filled me with energy and joy and woke me up. I have no problem with beef except for how much it costs. I do think pork is divine, though. Pork is the king of meats. If I had a hog ranch on the banks of a salmon river I think I'd be in heaven.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The other night I ordered a steak at dinner. I asked for it rare. The waiter warned it would be cold in the middle. I said fine. It had the appearance of being raw in the middle. It filled me with energy and joy and woke me up. I have no problem with beef except for how much it costs. I do think pork is divine, though. Pork is the king of meats. If I had a hog ranch on the banks of a salmon river I think I'd be in heaven.
    And you could keep the pigs well-fed with the entrails and waste from the salmon... mmmm.... salmon-fed pork...

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    mmmm.... salmon-fed pork...

We have 3 huge empty hog barns on our place. Now I know what to do with them
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast