Thread: Why leaving the heating off and avoiding the gym could help you lose weight page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

Why leaving the heating off and avoiding the gym could help you lose weight

Primal Fuel
    ... five years ago, brown fat was ‘rediscovered’ in adults, when researchers carrying out scans on adult patients in the winter months noticed areas of fat that seemed to be turned on by the cold weather. ...

As one of the lead researchers, Professor Michael Symonds, says: ‘We are on the threshold of what could prove really significant advances in obesity research.’ ...
    Why leaving the heating off and avoiding the gym could help you lose weight | Mail Online

This, of course, likely has relevance to my earlier thread "Why weren't the Victorians fat?" and, indeed, to far lower rates of obesity as recent as the 1950s. Central heating is only decades old even in developed parts of the world.

Oh, advice in the article includes:

Steer clear of ... sugary carbohydrates and highly processed foods. It is likely they have an adverse impact on brown fat.
    Nice to hear the recommendation.
    Last edited by Lewis; 10-22-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Interesting article and one that will motivate me to take the dog out on those -20C days this winter.

Unfortunately the article's title is very misleading considering that it explicitly states in the body of the article that exercise increases brown fat (or beige fat). What it recommends in the box at the end is to exercise in colder conditions to stimulate production, but the title implies that one simply needs to get cold and can skip activity. I think overall the recommendations are quite in keeping with primal principles.

I did laugh at the suggestion of going for an outdoor swim in cold weather--a clear indication that it's a British news site and not one from here, where outdoor cold weather swimming is better known as "skating".
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post

...where outdoor cold weather swimming is better known as "skating".
    Ha! +1000

Kristin5 is offline Junior Member
    Brown fat takes calories from normal fat and burns it. Scientists were able to stimulate brown fat growth in mice, but human trials have not yet begun.

Kristin5 is offline Junior Member
    In rare cases, brown fat continues to grow; this leads to a certain type of tumor

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Nice to know Professor Symonds is being put right.