Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pants getting looser, gut is still the same??! page

Java Beansoup is offline Junior Member

Red face Pants getting looser, gut is still the same??!

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience. I have been primal for about 3.5 months now. I love it. Lots of people have noticed a difference in the way I look. Initially I started PB on accident. A friend recommended the book and I started reading it but I didn't really know why. I was jarred by what I was reading and made instant changes to my diet. I am 47 and I've kept myself in decent shape over the years but I can say after 3 and a half months of PB and being consistent with the workout and eating habits, I am in the best shape I've been in over 20 years and I want to keep going. But one thing that has been bugging me is that the belly fat is really slow to come off. In fact, my pants keep getting looser but my gut is still the same and has been for about 2 months now. Initially I lost about an inch and a half off my gut and then it stopped coming off. I think my butts disappearing and thats why my pants keep getting looser. I really want to get that last bit of belly fat gone and I don't want to loose any more of my sorry lookin' @$$. Any suggestions? As far as exercise goes, I like to mix things up between running 3-5 miles once a week, cross-fit workouts 2-3 xs a week, and weight training 2-3 times a week. I play softball on a men's team once a week.

I have heard that stress causes our bodies to secrete cortisol which causes excess belly fat. But as a business owner, I don't know that there is an easy answer on avoiding stress.

Paleofan is offline Senior Member
    Totally. Exact same issue. Why?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    My waist has been locked steady at 30" for a year and yet my pants are so baggy they look ridiculous. They have even gotten baggier lately with no change to my waist or to my weight.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Have read belly fat is the last to go.
    I have lost weight, but my stomach proportionally seems as big??
    Also I have read caffeine can make your stomach bigger. Something to do with the body wraps fat around the caffeine to store it.
    It is one of the reasons I haven't drank coke zero for over a fortnight.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Squats are good for building up those glute muscles!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    For men, the fat around your belly is the most difficult to lose. They have a different kind of fat receptor, so it's common for a man to lean out quickly in their arms, legs, shoulders and buttocks, but save the belly for last. Women are similar, except they have the stubborn fat receptors in your thighs. If you are still losing weight, I wouldn't consider this an issue. It will come off, it'll just be the last to go. However, if the scale is the same, that's where the problem is. You'll either have to exercise more, change up your exercises to something more anabolic or cut calories.

An addition:

One way to boost stubborn fat mobilization is to intermittent fast and take yohimbe. When you wake up after your overnight fast (as in your sleep), instead of eating breakfast, try taking 12 mg of yohimbe and fasting til lunch a few times a week. Yohimbe is known to convert stubborn fat alpha-receptors to the more easily mobilized beta-type, but it has a very fast half life and wears off quickly (about 2 hours). It also could make you jittery, and you may hate the feel. You probably won't be able to drink any coffee with it. It also won't help you lose fat faster - it'll just help the fat loss be a little more even. This might be a worthwhile read:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/06/int...born-body.html

But when you say bellyfat, are you >15% body fat? If you're >15% body fat, this probably won't help as this is not a stubborn fat issue, it's just an overall fat issue and you haven't made it down to "stubborn fat lean" yet. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 10-23-2012 at 01:24 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    If you're seriously building abdominal muscle while losing overall body fat it's feasible to gain an inch or two around your waist while losing weight overall. That has happened to me. Around 9 lbs weight loss and 1 inch gain in waist size.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Squats and lunges are great for building up the butt, at least for me. I do many many squats and lunges, even my most willing to critique girlfriends have noticed I have a butt now. Keep up the good eating, up the squats...body weight, jumping, kettlebell...they all help.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    I think it's just a matter of how your body sheds fat. Looks like the last place is going to be your belly.
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Most people are like this- your body stores fat where it is easiest to move it, then works out from there. Losing fat works in reverse. First the limbs, then the upper limbs, then slowly working back to the spare tire, or for women, the hips.

Keep doing what you are doing, and the fat will keep coming off.

Add exercises to build up your glutes and hamstrings- squats, deadlift, or kettlebell swings are great for this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast