Thread: Nausea during exercise? page

sunsis is offline Member

Nausea during exercise?

Primal Fuel
    Background:

Just getting back into exercise again after a few years (about 3) of not really doing anything very vigorous at all - mainly just walking/small hikes, sometimes a kayak and a swim. Not completely sedentary but definitely not as athletic as I used to be.

I signed up to the gym, and everything seems like its going well. I'm fine doing a "warm up" on the treadmill for about 10 minutes, including some stretches in my arms etc while walking. I start doing a little lifting/squats/crunches type strengthening training and I immediately feel very nauseated and I have to go sit in the restrooms for a little while until the feeling wears off. I'm not really doing anything extremely strenuous either!

Is this just because I'm not used to exercising and my body has to condition? Should I see a doctor about this could it be something serious? or maybe I'm not eating enough prior to exercising (I had a boiled egg, half a mango and a cup of coffee before going in). Nutrient deficient perhaps?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I get nauseated if I eat too soon before a workout. How long is the time period between your meal and your gym session?
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

sunsis is offline Member
    I ate breakfast at 8:30am and gym at 10:30am.

Hmmmm. Might be the time factor. Might also be the coffee (that can make me feel ill) or maybe the egg? Have you tried switching what you eat and/or working out fasted?
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

sunsis is offline Member
    I can't work out fasted, i've tried it before although it was a while ago I could probably try again. Maybe I was a little dehydrated too. Thanks for the input I'll watch how I feel in a few days exercising fasted.

If fasted doesn't work, try something quite light and easily digested. I've always tended toward bananas, but you might have something else you prefer.

Owly's Journal

phigment is offline Senior Member
    If i don't prehydrate before i wo i get nausated.

Also do u take any meds. At one time i was on high bp, cholestrol, and diabetes. As i was getting healthier exercise was making me sick - but that was due to meds and had to come off of them.

Damonner is offline Junior Member
    Well, would you please tell me something about your diet. Do you eat something prior to start the exercise? Don't worry it happens some times just because of wrong eating habits.

sunsis is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    hi sorry for the delay in writing back, work n baby and all that jazz.

basic stats: 5'8.5 (174cm) and 147lbs - all carried in my mid section which got completely annihilated as im quite small boned and bubba was all in the front destroying my abs and creating Diastasis Recti which im still in the process of trying to rectify (i still feel quite a gaping hole in my front abdominal region, and lots of sagging). - trying to do pilates classes but i can only make one per week.

i eat mostly primal, saturday nights we "splurge" a bit. most breakfasts are either bacon with scrambled/boiled egg and a small piece of fruit and a cup of coffee with whole milk. i always do my gym work outs in the mornings at 10:30am tue, wed, fridays, as thats the best availability time for creche for my daughter.
    i dont usually eat anything pre-work out, just my breakfast usually around 8am, today was a little later than normal.
    i do however try to eat something like a banana or apple post workout or i find i get a bit jittery.
    it is coming into summer here, so im thinking it could be partly dehydration especially considering i didnt actually have any water pre this gym visit. im really terrible at making sure im drinking enough water. once my mother noticed when she came over one day to visit (all day to help with the baby when she was first born) that i didnt even have a single glass of water all day long and made me drink one towards mid afternoon.

workout usually involves a 10 minute warm up on the treadmill, followed by some light weights, then more heavy lifting, squats and lunges. finally abdominal region a few crunches (trying to go easy on that but including it) and a pathetic attempt at planks, and finally stretching it all out at the end. usually spend around 40 minutes there.

also the only meds im on are birth control pills. i take them at night before bed because they do make me nauseous as well (sometimes ill wake through the night feeling sick, but mostly i can sleep through it).
    Last edited by sunsis; 10-23-2012 at 03:05 AM.