Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Japanese cancer conundrum? page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Aside from the schoolgirl panty thing, which is so bizarre it probably shocks the cancer out of the whole country...

Maybe it's a genetic thing. We're such a melting pot. I know that some races are more prone to certain diseases, or high blood pressure, etc. Also, things like longevity seem (my observation only) to run in families. Maybe the Japanese just have an awesome screw-you-cancer gene.

Just a thought.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post

Maybe it's a genetic thing. We're such a melting pot. I know that some races are more prone to certain diseases, or high blood pressure, etc. Also, things like longevity seem (my observation only) to run in families. Maybe the Japanese just have an awesome screw-you-cancer gene.

Just a thought.
    This is what I was gonna say.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post

Nothing is safe anymore. Brb, going on a breatharian diet.
    You don't need that. Sunlight is the way to fuel your body. :-p

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Although... Their extremely high percentage of citizens that smoke is NOT a risk factor?
    I think a lot of the more research is pointing to the idea that lung cancer is mostly genetic. Smoking probably increases the risk in people who have the susceptible genes but doesn't in people that don't.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JWBooth View Post
    I think a lot of the more research is pointing to the idea that lung cancer is mostly genetic. Smoking probably increases the risk in people who have the susceptible genes but doesn't in people that don't.
    So the Japanese are simply less genetically predisposed to lung cancer than other races are? It can't be THAT simple...

cheekymonster is offline Junior Member
    Smoking aside, when you talk to Japanese about cancer it is almost always stomach cancer that is referred to as the number one cancer. Japanese doctors I have talked to attribute it to salt in the diet. A traditional meal would be fish (if soy sauce=salt), miso soup (salt), pickles (salt), and some sort of veggies with soy sauce or miso (salt) and rice. Lunch out might be ramen (salt) or other noodles (salt), etc. I was recently diagnosed as gluten intolerant and I NEVER eat out in Japan now because everything has soy sauce in it.

As far as carb consumption goes, yes, there is a lot of rice eaten but have you seen the size of a bowl? A Japanese rice bowl is the size of my hand cupped. That's it. When I see the bento lunches that the office ladies have it is soooo small. So portion is certainly different compared to a Western diet.

Cancer rates are going to be catching up to the West due to diet changes. Lots more junk and fast food consumed now.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    So the Japanese are simply less genetically predisposed to lung cancer than other races are? It can't be THAT simple...
    Dude - use the sarcasm tags. It can be THAT simple (no sarcasm).
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Neely is offline Member
    Well, I'm not surprised that a traditional diet, heavy in fish and vegetables and low in junk food, equals a low cancer rate. There's not much of a mystery there to me. Yes rice is consumed, but mainly white rice which is thought of as the best of the worst in terms of anti-nutrients anyway. When you think about it, the traditional Japanese diet, at its core, is basically a paleo diet with a little white rice thrown it, it's not surprising that the cancer rate is so much lower.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JWBooth View Post
    OMG - can you imagine the shit storm that will be created if legitimate research, i.e., that not funded by big tobacco, proves this to be true?

I once dreamed that eating steak and butter would be considered healthy and now it is. Maybe someday I can get back my cigarettes - I loved those little suckers.

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    explanation is in this article

Cancer Rates In The USA Compared To Japan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast