Thread: Do you need a side dish? page

Slim43 is offline Junior Member

Do you need a side dish?

Primal Fuel
    Completely new to this, today was my first day going full out caveman style...had an eggbake for breakfast, fought back the light headed/dizzy feeling, popped a few strawberries, had a kick ass salad at lunch, few nuts and dried berries for a snack and now I'm stuck. What to do for dinner....so I figured chicken lettuce wraps with guacamole...why not! Classic twist on an old favorite, dilemma....can't think of a side dish to go with it aside from some sort of vegetable. I only worry because I'm trying to keep my wife in line with it, and i've got 2 young children that will expect a healthy side dish.
    Do we need one? Am I over thinking this? Trying to hard?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    fry up some peppers and onions with the chicken...yum.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

So what you're saying is....it's ok to not have a side dish

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I do wraps like that all the time...It is like a fajita in lettuce...If you ordered fajita's you wouldn't expect a side, the meat and veg are all in one.
    Stew is another good one pot dish etc.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Good point Dirlot....I am just over thinking it, duh, lettuce, guac, peppers, onions, salsa....kind of a vegetable medley with protein thrown in the middle.
    Need to start thinking that every meal doesn't need to be a 2 or 3 course...1 will suffice so long as everything needed is there

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Nope. You don't need a side. One of my favorite meals is a beef shank, but it's so rich that I've stopped making sides with it because they ended up leftovers anyway. Just the shank au jus, and some of the onions from the 'jus,' and yum.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    My side dish at every meal is kimchi. Helps with digestion

Thanks for all of the responses...it certainly helps to have a large support network with fresh ideas...I'll give the kimchi some thought, unless sauerkraut will work as well

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    You don't need a side dish. However, if you have 2 small children you might consider throwing in some sort of potato as a side to be sure you are offering enough carbs for the growing body.

thanks for the tip teach....I'm kinda letting the kids still be kids while limiting the obvious intake of bad foods. my daughter still makes a sandwich with peanut butter for her lunch, my son still eats spaghetti, etc...I've always made sure they eat "healthy", as common wisdom would suggest. There is a lot of monkey see monkey do, such as last night my son grabbed a handful of almonds and proceeded to snack on them before going to bed.
    I won't take away their childhood...just going to make darn sure they have an adulthood