Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do you know your daily caloric intake? I don't count calories but.... page 4

Caveman_Sam is offline Member
    Guessing is very difficult. If you want to know for sure, why not track for a week?

There's a great app called myfitnesspal (you can google it) which is free and makes tracking easy.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Definitely get a food scale. It will open your eyes.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

is it me, or is this guy living in total denial?

good luck on your weight loss journey.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Stop telling him that, he definitely CAN.

Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Stop telling him that, he definitely CAN.

oops...sorry. my bad. haha

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Maybe Primal Papa CAN tell how many calories are in the foods he eats. Maybe his issue in this case is just water weight. Even if he was eating more than he thought, it still wouldn't add up to a 6 pound gain in a week, unless he was really pigging out. I don't think that's what has happened--if he had been really eating a lot more than normal, he wouldn't have come here asking about it.

I generally track how much I eat about one week a month, unless I'm doing some sort of n=1 and then I'll track for longer.

I'm CDO (that's OCD in the correct alphabetical order) and when I'm tracking, I weigh and measure EVERYthing. I don't lick the spoon, and if I take a spoonful of something I'm cooking, I record that as a teaspoon. I consistently "guess" that what I'm eating has more calories than it really does. My "guesses" are pretty consistent, I usually estimate about 3% more weight/volume than what the food really is. So it is possible to be pretty good at figuring out calories without weighing or measuring.

I could see doubting that he was accurate at estimating calories if he was complaining about not losing weight for a long period of time, or if he was gradually gaining weight, but that's not what he asked about.

From what I've read here in the forums and in other places, it's very possible to gain 6 pounds of water weight in a week. Primal Papa, I'd suggest that you just carry on as you have been, tracking your weight once a week, and look at long term trends, not what happens from one week to the next.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Papa View Post
    LOL, but I can.... It was part of what I used to do for a living.
    Okay, so you can eyeball your calories. Maybe the amount you think you need is in error.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    From what I've read here in the forums and in other places, it's very possible to gain 6 pounds of water weight in a week. Primal Papa, I'd suggest that you just carry on as you have been, tracking your weight once a week, and look at long term trends, not what happens from one week to the next.
    If it was 6lbs in one week, it could have been all water weight, it could have been muscle and bone weight added, it could have been a pound of fat plus 5 pounds of something else.

Don't underestimate the weight of adding muscle and bone. Before I ate this way I wasn't horrible in my eating ways, but I was fairly bad for a very long time.

I spent 10 years of my life as a junk food vegetarian, so there's 10 years in my 20s and 30s where I got pretty much no protein and probably not much else to build strong bones and a strong body. (Do I even have to tell you how many emotional problems I had during that time?)

After that I ate a little better because I ate meat, but I still was pretty heavy on pastries rather than vegetables.

Then I got a partner and together we actually had sit-down meals so my diet improved with more vegetables.

Now it's an explosion of vegetables and meats and healthy fats that will build a strong body and there are few anti-nutrients coming from grains and junk food to get in the way. I know that I have gained lean mass just from the food alone. Bone and muscle. I'm roughly the same size now at around 133lbs that I was at 125 when I was hiking the Pacific Crest.

I actually saw noticeable muscle gain on myself in the early stages of this diet. I also was terribly afraid to weigh myself at the beginning or until there was noticeable weight loss, so I never had a chance to freak myself out by seeing any gains on the scale.

Now I've started weight lifting and I have not stepped on the scale at the beginning nor do I plan to step on the scale until there is an appreciable body composition change that I can see in the mirror. At that point any number on the scale will not have the power to freak me out.

I believe that the scale and calories are two totally destructive forces. I know that some people thrive on their use and have healthy relationships with them. I have mildly unhealthy relationships so I use them minimally. It has not stopped me from seeing immense progress nor has it stopped me gaining health and vitality.

I would suggest that if you do use a scale that you keep a spreadsheet and track your progress on the spreadsheet, not base it on today's number. I've seen a number of spreadsheet graphs of people's weight loss progress and there are numerous spikes and sometimes upward trends, but they mostly go down. And it's interesting when people note on the date line circumstances that occurred, like this spike was over the holidays, this upward trend was when I began weight lifting, etc.
    Last edited by sbhikes; 10-24-2012 at 07:26 AM.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234