Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you know your daily caloric intake? I don't count calories but.... page 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I would, personally, start counting calories. It's not that difficult a task, and there are plenty of online things that will help you calculate.

I do know how much I eat -- but it's a rough estimate. Anytime someone asks, I pop over to fit day and do a calculation. DH helps me, because he's better at telling me the volumes "oh, that was more like 6 oz steak, not 5" and so on. It's usually 1500-1700 calories per day (female, 5 ft 7, not as active as i'd like to be). in more active times, it goes up. It rarely goes down. sometimes my body naturally alternate-day fasts.

Anyway, it's not wrong to count, and if this concerns you, you might as well give it a try.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Papa View Post
    I have a real good feel for how many calories are in my meals. I average 2000 - 2500 a day....... and somehow, I GAINED 6 pounds over the last 5 days, and that just doesn't seem possible. That would be eating several thousand calories a day more than I eat, for each of the last 5 days, and trust me, that didn't happen.

I didn't cheat other than one SMALL bite of a banana muffin I made. ( I made 12 muffins because the bananas were going to go bad. I was planning on giving them away, so I took a small bite of one muffin just to make sure they weren't terrible, and then fed the rest of that muffin to my dogs ).

No extra salt was eaten.....

I'm clueless here on this.... I don't think it had to do with caloric intake.
    First of all, a small bite of muffing won't give you a 5lb weight gain.

Second, if you gained 6 pounds over the last 5 days, it might have been from the 5 days before last. Sometimes there is a lag time both for losing and for gaining.

Thirdly, almost nobody can guess at their calories accurately. That's why I no longer bother.

The most effective thing I think you can do is to eat less. If that results in weight loss, great. If it doesn't, then maybe you need to eat a little less than that. If you end up starving and binging, maybe you aren't eating enough.

You might try lifting weights or walking an hour or two a day, too. I once knew an 80-year-old lady skinny as a rail who had once been obese. She lost the weight and kept it off. Her secret was no flour, no sugar, three meals a day, nothing in between, walking for two hours every day and lifting weights. She had kept the weight off for decades.

Oh, and last week I achieved caffeine intoxication after for the prior week drinking a mug of black french press coffee each day. By the weekend I could no longer sleep well. By Monday I felt wretched. I was all puffed up and anxious. I cut way way back on the coffee to almost nothing and by the end of the week my stomach was flat again and I could sleep again. Lots of things can puff you up.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    First of all, a small bite of muffing won't give you a 5lb weight gain.

Second, if you gained 6 pounds over the last 5 days, it might have been from the 5 days before last. Sometimes there is a lag time both for losing and for gaining.

Thirdly, almost nobody can guess at their calories accurately. That's why I no longer bother.

The most effective thing I think you can do is to eat less. If that results in weight loss, great. If it doesn't, then maybe you need to eat a little less than that. If you end up starving and binging, maybe you aren't eating enough.

You might try lifting weights or walking an hour or two a day, too. I once knew an 80-year-old lady skinny as a rail who had once been obese. She lost the weight and kept it off. Her secret was no flour, no sugar, three meals a day, nothing in between, walking for two hours every day and lifting weights. She had kept the weight off for decades.

Oh, and last week I achieved caffeine intoxication after for the prior week drinking a mug of black french press coffee each day. By the weekend I could no longer sleep well. By Monday I felt wretched. I was all puffed up and anxious. I cut way way back on the coffee to almost nothing and by the end of the week my stomach was flat again and I could sleep again. Lots of things can puff you up.

I can. I really can. I have kept offline and online journals for YEARS, and I have worked in many food enterprises, so I know portion sizes, calories in foods, yadda yadda yadda. Only way I don't know is if someone else makes it. If I make it, I know the calories. I can't tell if people have hidden calories in what they make.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I count. I take about ten minutes in the morning with my coffee to plan my day's meals and the calories from such (low tech - I use a steno pad). I know that's slippery since calorimeters are such flighty creatures, scales also. What I can't know is how many of those calories I actually absorb, but counting intake is a decent guideline for many people (not all people).

I keep a food journal - probably takes another 5-10 min per day. I write it down right after I eat so I don't have to guess or try to remember.

Planning gives me a guideline so I don't need to guess at each meal if I'm going over a given number. The journal keeps me in tune with various things like how my body responded to a new food if there was one, how I'm emotionally responding to my environment with food, etc. It also keeps me honest.

It's a little difficult at first, but soon you pretty much memorize the calories in the foods you eat often. Trackers work also, but I can do my little food plan faster by hand ymmv.

I also think that measuring is important for some overweight people. The reason is that if we really knew or sensed the appropriate amount of food we needed to stay healthy, we most likely wouldn't have ended up overweight in the first place. Again just my opinion, but measuring spoons and cups, and food scales take the guess work out of portion control.

If you eat out a lot, this will be harder for you. I don't, so it's just habit now.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    On any given day, I am somewhere between 1,500 to 2,000 calories. I've become a good judge of what that looks like on my plate after tracking carefully for quite sometime after I started in on then primal diet. Now I barely have to ever check intake levels as it's sort of become second nature to me.

Of course, occasional exceptions are made, for special occasions, where I may go over this amount.

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    Never counted calories and don't ever plan to. Sounds exceedingly tedious to me whether it takes 5 minutes per day or longer. I eat (primal) until I'm full three/four times per day and the weight just keeps falling off. When it stops I'll know I'm at my optimal weight and that's good enough for me.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    There is a really good book about calories here by the way. I would link right to the page or mention the title but it's got a naughty word. You'll find it. stumptuous.com
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    There is a really good book about calories here by the way. I would link right to the page or mention the title but it's got a naughty word. You'll find it. stumptuous.com
    Yeah, I read F*** Calories - like everything Krista does, it's awesome. It's really a breath of fresh air and a nice way of snapping out of all the regimented bull we tend to stuff ourselves into. I highly recommend it for anyone frustrated by weight loss.

the bit of the muffin had nothing to do with this. nothing at all. and like you said earlier, unless you are eating thousands of calories extra every day, you didn't gain 5lbs of fat. more than likely, its water weight or glycogen replenishment. have you eaten more carbs than normal lately? if you had gone through a period of lower carb eating, followed by a few days of higher carb eating, then this could be the culprit. if you legitimately tracked things, then you would know this.

and please, stop kidding yourself about being able to eyeball portion sizes. its inconceivable that you will accurately eyeball a tbsp of oil, or 8oz of steak, or 1 cup of veggies every single time. and those slight variations can make a world of difference. being slightly over on your measurements, 3 meals a day, plus a snack or two could make up 500 calories easily, totally sidetracking your weightloss efforts. people are here to help you. don't live in denial

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post

and please, stop kidding yourself about being able to eyeball portion sizes. its inconceivable that you will accurately eyeball a tbsp of oil, or 8oz of steak, or 1 cup of veggies every single time.
    OK, but I can. LOL.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast