Thread: You are Your Own Gym page

Nigel is offline Senior Member

You are Your Own Gym

Primal Fuel
    I've been doing HIT rowing since March and Body by Science strength training since late June. Now that I've lost 50lbs (still about 20lbs of fat to go) and got a basic level of fitness, I bought YAYOG. I liked the way everything is laid out and so bought the iPad and iPhone app to get the timings etc right.

I did my first Basic workout this morning. Bloody hell! At the age of 62 it hit me a bit hard. I've got jelly legs and spaghetti arms and it wasn't even aimed at the legs. I had lunch immediately afterwards. This afternoon is the first time I have felt really hungry since a few weeks after I gave up grains.

Is anybody else starting out with YAYOG too?
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Drmike is offline Member
    It's the best workout program on the planet

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I did it for a while BEFORE I went on to BBS ....hehe. I was in pretty good shape (did PB fitness at a high level). One thing happened that scarred me for life though. When I was doing the door knob rows ....well my feet were on a piece of rug that FLEW out from under me. Now if you know which exercise this is you know where this is going, but in case you don't follow this is the one where your legs are straddling a door as you lean back with all your weight and do a compound row. BAD NEWS! I was down for like 20 minutes. I may have blacked out, I'm not sure. Anyhow, it was a bit high volume for me at the time but I did like it. But, I never could get to the level that I could do pistols....that came after several months of BBS though!

Drmike is offline Member
    They are called let me ups. I never trusted my door so I did them with a towel and a large metal beam in my basement and never had a problem. They work your back from a different angle then pull-ups

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drmike View Post
    They are called let me ups. I never trusted my door so I did them with a towel and a large metal beam in my basement and never had a problem. They work your back from a different angle then pull-ups
    lol...yeah those. Wasn't blaming the program for the unfortunate event

Diogenes is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have YAYOG, but I chose to go with Convict Conditioning. At 53, I was beginning training after a years-long layoff, and still about 40 lbs overweight. YAYOG seemed a bit too intense, and also more complicated than I was looking for. In several months, I may take another look at that program. It is a fantastic reference for bodyweight exercises independent of the exercise programs, one of the top BW books out there.