Thread: Is this a waste? page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Is this a waste?

Primal Fuel
    I grate some raw cheese amd let it melt over my omelette. may I just as well buy cheaper, pasteurized cheese because I pasturize the cheese this way?
    Billie trips balls

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Overthinking man - eat the cheese. Also I am not sure the residual heat from the omelette is enough to fully pasteurize.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Overthinking man - eat the cheese. Also I am not sure the residual heat from the omelette is enough to fully pasteurize.
    +1

Pasteurization occurs at 145F for 30 minutes or 165F for 5 minutes (iirc). Chances are, your eggs are 120F max for around 5 minutes. I wouldn't worry.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Ok thanks, but it's not overthinking. Raw cheese is just more expensive so I wouldn't spend money on it if it was useless
    Billie trips balls

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    If it's more expensive and you don't eat it plain then buy something else. I really miss the old cheeses which you guys are famous for. The ones that are crumbly and almost painful to eat. I would buy that instead (and eat it buy the truckload), as it's a good source of vit. K.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I grate some raw cheese amd let it melt over my omelette. may I just as well buy cheaper, pasteurized cheese because I pasturize the cheese this way?
    I don't think I could be bothered to buy two sorts of cheese.

Anyway, the question to ask yourself is: "What do I want to encourage?"

Price is a "signalling mechanism" and a form of knowledge. It depends on supply and demand.

In The Use of Knowledge in Society (1945), Hayek argued that the price mechanism serves to share and synchronize local and personal knowledge, allowing society's members to achieve diverse, complicated ends through a principle of spontaneous self-organization.
    Friedrich Hayek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is why "centralized economies" didn't work. A planner sitting at the centre could never work out what of what was needed everywhere and what price to set for each thing. No one could amass that level of knowledge. In a functioning economy what tells "the market" (i.e., all the different actors) what's wanted and what to charge for it is your purchases not the decisions of an apparatchik.

If you want to encourage organic producers, or local producers, or producers who treat their livestock humanely, or those that don't pasteurize their wine or cheese or whatever, buy from them.

Or if you don't, don't.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Can your taste buds tell the difference? Might be that any difference in taste would be worth it to you.

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    I don't know man... It's your cheese. The only way it's a waste, IMO, is if it tastes bad.
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me