Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coconuts and almonds page 2

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have some coconut flour but have only used maybe 2 spoonfuls of it ever, when I mixed it up with canned salmon, an egg, and a bunch of spices to make some salmon cakes. Just threw that into a muffin pan and baked it for on-the-go food. I'm not even sure what else I'll ever use the coconut flour for besides that again.

Heatherly is offline Junior Member
    I make coconut flour pancakes (eggs, coconut flour, almond milk) when I am having a rough spot, usually no sleep due to my toddler, but have not found another use for it. It is awful to "bread" things with, it gets gummy when wet.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    As previously mentioned - all you 'need' is good quality meats, veggies and fats. If you don't have easy access to a good butcher, Waitrose has a range called 'forgotten cuts' which includes pig's cheek, ox tail, beef shin etc. If you want to invest in something for your kitchen, try a slow cooker, great for stewing all of the above.

Tinned coconut milk - check the label for the percentage of actual coconut and the preservatives, some contain corn flour as a thickener, and some are as low as 27% coconut.

Virgin coconut oil is 7 - 9 per 400-450g tub, unless you're in Holland and Barrett, where it's twice that (as I found out after the first time I bought it). The overprocess stuff without the health benefits is about 2 - 3 per tub.

I don't worry about nut flours - a small amount of high cocoa Green and Blacks or a glass of red wine feels more fun and has helped wean me off bread, cakes etc. Flour based products can still spike insulin levels, even if they're gluten free.

Hope this is useful!

campagman is offline Junior Member
    I had a look in my local Asian S'mkt. Found loads of paleo foods that are not stocked or very expensive in more common GB S'mkts.

Misti is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
    I think i'm worried about being hungry as i have a big appetite and not havnig enough variety or not
    Like you, Screamer, my family had big appetites and needed lot of variety. It's not a bad idea to have some "psuedo primal" treats around when you're getting started. You won't lose much weight that way, but it won't interfere with your feeling better and stronger -- and snacking on pseudo-primal treats won't set you back as far in resisting non-primal foods. (When I eat an almond flour brownie made with honey instead of sugar, I am satisfied with one and I don't go on an eating rampage the way I do if I have a wheat brownie made with sugar. Over time, you'll want to cut back on those, but over time it will be easier to do it.

My honey and I have noticed that we can now eat the same meats and vegetables over and over again without going crazy for something diferfent like we would have in the old days, and we now have leftovers most of the time -- which never hapepned in the old days. My guess is that when we were eating anti-nutrients, out bodies kept trying to find something that would feed us, so we were driven to find variety. Now that we're beinf truly nourished by our foods, that's not a problem anymore. We still LIKE variety, but we don't need it like we did.

As to the big appetite, that seems to be grain related for us. We used to put away huge servings of lentils and rice and then be ready for another meal a couple of hours later. Now a chicken leg and a cup of roasted vegetables keeps us sated for many hours.

It takes time, but the changes come.

Eat what you know is good for you. When you're craving neolithic foods, make a small amount of a pseudo-primal substitute and indulge, then go back to eating what you know is nourishing. The changes will coem and the cravings will fade.
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Eating lower carb will probably help curb your appetite. Not necessarily ketosis, just lower than the average American. You mentioned snacks. Until you reach the mindset that snacks are unnecessary:

Small cans of fish. If you worry about the BPA in can linings, there are companies that sell their products BPA free. Sardines are little nutrition bombs. Salmon also comes in one-portion cans, or you can cook up a bunch of salmon (wild), then zip-loc and refrigerate/freeze snack sized portions.

Leftovers are also good snacks, assuming the original meal was healthy.

Veggies cold or hot. Make your own aioli so you don't eat the crap oils in store bought mayo, and you have a dipping sauce.

Fruit. Not supergreat for lowering carb intake, but some are super nutritious and delish. Berries are usually lower carb than most other fruits. If you're worried you'll binge on berries, buy frozen and just defrost a portion at a time. Mangoes and bananas are a bit high carb, but if you're out and about, they are certainly a better choice than a phony health bar or cookies/candy.

Hard boiled eggs. It's as easy to hb a bunch of eggs as to do two. They're portable, yummy, and nutritious.

So those are a few ways to look at what to snack on.

I don't know if you've "primalized" your kitchen yet, but it very much helps to throw away any nonprimal foods so temptation is out of sight.

Screamer is offline Member
    Where was the starter guide please? Just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing? I've also bought the 21 day starter book by Mark so hopefully that will get us started.

Next question on Almond milk and Coconut milk, are the tinned and cartoned versions ok as that's the only places i've ever seen that you can buy it? Worried as the tin i have here says in the ingredients: coconut milk extract 27.27% then the rest is just other randomness like water, stabilizer, emulsifier, sulphur dioxide etc?

Thanks everyone for all this info, i made some primal granola last night but unsure when and how much i'm supposed to eat lol, usually obviously i'd eat granola with yoghurt for breakast but i had a small bit this morning with coconut milk and a few slices of bacon to get my protein. I NEED to loose weight on this so don't want too many treats, but definitely need snack ideas so the sardines etc are good ideas. Just need to cook some eggs etc to have here when I need/want them.

I have been trying to keep to berries for fruit as well, blueberries and grapes. Hope they are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    As previously mentioned - all you 'need' is good quality meats, veggies and fats. If you don't have easy access to a good butcher, Waitrose has a range called 'forgotten cuts' which includes pig's cheek, ox tail, beef shin etc. If you want to invest in something for your kitchen, try a slow cooker, great for stewing all of the above.

Tinned coconut milk - check the label for the percentage of actual coconut and the preservatives, some contain corn flour as a thickener, and some are as low as 27% coconut.

Virgin coconut oil is 7 - 9 per 400-450g tub, unless you're in Holland and Barrett, where it's twice that (as I found out after the first time I bought it). The overprocess stuff without the health benefits is about 2 - 3 per tub.

I don't worry about nut flours - a small amount of high cocoa Green and Blacks or a glass of red wine feels more fun and has helped wean me off bread, cakes etc. Flour based products can still spike insulin levels, even if they're gluten free.

Hope this is useful!
    I have lots of really good shops near me where i live (stoke newington in London) where we have lots of turkish shops that sell organic and fairtrade products lke you would find in whole foods. There's also a wholefoods near us but i bought some coconut oil there for like 4 then saw another smaller jar there for 4 again which was RAW coconut oil from Bionta? Hopefully they are ok? Thanks for the tip about waitrose cuts that sounds great.

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
    Where was the starter guide please? Just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing? I've also bought the 21 day starter book by Mark so hopefully that will get us started.
    The 21 Day Starter book will probably answer most of your questions, but until then: here's a link with all the basics. Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple Good luck!
    With Mark's help, I've conquered depression, acne, rosacea, scale obsession, migraines, and lethargy. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

http://www.theladygrok.blogspot.com/

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread8215.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast