Thread: Opportunity to help my mom w Type 2 diabetes page

LauraSB is offline Senior Member

Opportunity to help my mom w Type 2 diabetes

Primal Fuel
    My mom has T2DM, hypertension and a heart arrythmia. She is probably at least as over weight as I was when I started losing weight. She had another hypertension episode a few weeks ago and was strongly encouraged by her Dr to lose some weight. The diet recommendations were low salt, low carb, lots of veggies and small portions of meat. I haven't seen her since Xmas 2011, which was 3 months before I started losing weight, and I haven't told her I've lost 50 lbs or that DH has lost 40lbs. She and my dad will be visiting next week. I'm seeing an opportunity here...

Those of you who test (or have tested) your blood sugar to determine which foods are messing with you, what are the worst ones? She's a big fan of bread. I'm sure she's getting plenty of healthy, whole grains. I know she's fat-phobic, from past experience. It's kind of ironic because the reason I decided I had to lose weight and drifted into primal eating was that I was anxious to avoid ending up like her.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Wow, Laura, you and your husband have made fantastic progress. I 'm amazed that you have managed to keep this news from your parents for so long and they are sure to be surprised.

I do hope that seeing you both in glowing good health next week will prompt your Mom to make some changes in the same direction for her own sake.

I feel that actions probably speak louder than words, so you do have a wonderful opportunity to show her what has worked for you.

It sounds like they will be staying with you, so you have a great opportunity to cook wonderful primal meals that they will see you enjoying and thriving on. You may be able to "hide" some healthy fats among the meat and lots of veges that will look like their recommended diet. She's bound to notice that you don't eat bread any more, but perhaps she won't miss it so badly if you provide alternatives such as rice or potatoes.

Good luck, and please keep us updated on how you get on.

Pete Evans is offline Junior Member
    This sounds good, you can give a surprise to your mom about yours and your DH's weight loss. I think this will help her get motivated. Also a type 2 diabetes diet can be a good option. Look what suits her best, hope you people have great time together.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    She's a big fan of bread. I'm sure she's getting plenty of healthy, whole grains.
    "Healthy, whole grains" is an oxymoron. In some folks, whole wheat bread spikes BG as much or more than table sugar. Did you watch Dr Davis on the Dr Oz show?

Terry H is online now Senior Member
    Hi LauraSB.

As Artbuc said bread is bread. A diabetic can never have good BG control with wheat, rice, or potatoes in their diet based on reading and my own experience. Low fat isn't very good advice, really. Try using search at the Blog "low fat diet."

Food Lists for Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Diet - Forbidden and Allowed Foods

I can't recommend enough Dr Bernstein's books: The Diabetes Diet, Dr B's Diabetes Solution.

He is an MD and a T1 diabetic. The above link will give a basic overview of the D Diet. He tells you the whys and hows in an easy-to-read format. Just to mention the info contained therein applies to diabetics of whatever type. Best wishes.
    Last edited by Terry H; 12-11-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: sp

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Wow, didn't expect to see this thread pop back up! Mom and Dad visited a little over a month ago. I found out that she used to test her blood sugar, but doesn't any more, that her Dr recommended low carb, but didn't give her a number and she has no interest in counting (gah!) and what really interests her is losing weight. I guess she thinks Metformin, or maybe her low fat diet, is going to save her from all the horrible side effects of poorly controlled blood sugar? She does eat a mostly unprocessed (aside from grain products) diet, so that's in her favor, I guess.

So I showed her the app I use for counting calories and told her the easiest way to make calorie restriction bearable is to choose the foods that do the best job of keeping you full. Then I used grains as an example of something that made dieting harder. She seemed to accept that they are calorically expensive and less nutritious than meats, fruits and vegetables. I'll be interested to see if she comes to the same conclusion about grains that I did even before I'd heard of Primal. Just.Not.Worth.It

She's lost 12 pounds and says she kind of likes the counting. I pointed out that she could track her carbs and even follow the effect of different foods on her blood sugar, but maybe that's too much counting, lol, because she wasn't too enthusiastic. Anyway, limiting calories has almost certainly reduced carbs, so it's a start. If her diabetes and high blood pressure improve, maybe I'll be able to convince her that a little more fat won't kill her.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Hi LauraSB. In the end, to narrow the focus, Blood sugar has to be kept in good control. Focus on that first and the priorities fall in line: Diet, exercise, and of course medication as necessary.

Amazon.com: dr bernstein

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ... a diabetes diet as generally recommended on risk factors for cardiovascular disease in patients with type 2 diabetes not treated with insulin.

So the European guidelines the Paleo approach is being tested against, is it similar to the
    ADA approach? It seems so.

Just to mention Dr B criticizes the ADA diet as unworkable for tight BG control and overall health.
    Last edited by Terry H; 12-15-2012 at 10:50 PM.