Thread: Sharp pain on right side during a sprint page

Loneketo is offline Senior Member

Sharp pain on right side during a sprint

Primal Fuel
    I was In the middle of 4th sprint, and suddenly my right side, under my ribs, I had a painful, very painful and sharp pain. I (obviously) stopped and for a couple minutes it was almost so unbearable that I didn't even want to go sit down somewhere, I was just still.

Does anyone have an idea of what this could be? I haven't had time to sprint yet since.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Probably stitches. Welcome to my life, I have them every time I run if I run hard/long enough.

Loneketo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    Probably stitches. Welcome to my life, I have them every time I run if I run hard/long enough.
    Why do they happen?

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Part breathing, part conditioning and current fitness level. You're not sucking in enough air as you breathe so you're cramping up. During your walk back or cool down, massage the effected area until it loosens up and you can breathe. FWIW I inhale twice and exhale once whle sprinting/running hard. I was coached that you can draw in more air in 2 shorter deep breaths before exhaling than with a long gasping one.
    Last edited by pace2race; 10-21-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    It generally has to do with the ligament that holds your liver in place. (I'm assuming this was down where your abdomen meets your ribs and up under the ribs right there) You can google a bit about running/breathing patterns. Some people find it beneficial to breath in when a certain foot hits the ground and out with the other so that the diaphragm is moving in the same direction as the liver so that ligament doesn't get yanked on so much. So if you keep having issues with it maybe that'll help!