Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting to THAT point page

MrsJorre is offline Junior Member

getting to THAT point

Primal Fuel
    I'm sort of avoiding writing 'hitting rock bottom' because it's not quite accurate.

Anyways, my name is Heather, and I'm 32 years old, living in Melbourne Australia.

I did a Paleo diet for about 2 weeks as part of a naturopath's recommendations about 2 years ago. It was really, super strict and I had sugar and caffeine withdrawal like you wouldnt believe (or maybe you would!)

So, I've been putting weight on steadily since then, and most of it is around my belly. I'm used to people on public transport getting up for me now as they think I'm pregnant. I'm sort of OK with that, but the worst thing is the fatigue. I have got a thyroid issue- only mild- and I'm on medication for that. I sort of figured once I went on it (about a year ago) that my problems would go away but not at all. I've suffered moderate-extreme levels of depression for about 10 years, and I have a 'nap' pretty much every day...only that nap has gone from being 45min to an hour to 2-3 hours.... Then on Saturday, I slept for 7 hours straight on a beautiful sunny day....

So, I've cut out grains, sugar, processed foods but I'm still trying to figure out what this should 'look like' for me right now. I'm not 100% sure of what the diet should, and shouldn't include; Is dairy OK, is some caffeine OK, are potatoes OK.......

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read this. I may well add some pics to really make it real!!!!!

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you might benefit from doing one of the Whole 30 challenges. That could help you figure out what kind of diet is right for you.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    If you're putting on a lot of weight in your belly, especially if that's not your normal pattern, I would also get checked for Cushing's disease.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    If you're putting on a lot of weight in your belly, especially if that's not your normal pattern, I would also get checked for Cushing's disease.
    I had a look at Wikipedia for this, and I don't think it's that. My gut instinct is that it's a reaction to grains- particularly wheat. I also think I'm a chronic sugar and caffeine junkie as well.

CrazyCatLady is offline Member
    If you are doing the high fat that this recommends, stick to the guidelines for carbs. (So, no to the potatoes.) Try to keep it low. But, do have some coffee, have cream, and even Mark has a spoon of sugar in his coffee. If you get the "flu" try taking a multivitamin.

I found that eating my normal foods without the grains worked best. So when I fixed spaghetti for the kids, I fried some summer squash and put my sauce on that. I put more vegis in my stir fries and curries, and leave out the rice. I make vegi soup without the noodles or barley. I have salads with some meat in them for lunches.

As I understand in another thread elsewhere, potatoes are being mentioned a lot. The key thing to keep in mind is if you eat fats, and you eat starches, you will put on fat. If you eat either without the other, then you can loose. But you need to decide which way you are going to go, and then stick with it. Switching back and forth every day is not going to work.

I keep trying to convince a friend of mine to go wheat free because of her thyroid issues, but no luck yet. Hopefully I can site a success story of your in the future to inspire her!

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    You might find this thread interesting.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65113.html

The need to sleep that much sounds a bit like depression to me, or some other problem with sub-optimal brain chemistry, and ketosis can help with that.

So, about 24 hours in and here comes the fog.....my eyes are almost closing at my desk fog. I think I need to eliminate caffeine but the thought of this is horrifying- I'm literally addicted to caffeine. Not your 1-2 cups a day sort of junkie, a 4-5 cups without really trying sort of person. I cannot leave the house without a coffee. I had 3 this morning and now it's post-lunch and the 3:00pm slump is in, and I haven't had any sugar when I usually have 2 teaspoons in each cup.
    Breakfast was 2 x boiled eggs, blueberries, apple and banana
    Lunch was chicken breast, cheese and roast vegies
    snack: Carrot sticks and banana.

I haven't had any supplements at all, and I think getting some might be the way to go. Are there any recommendations without going overboard?

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome MrsJorre!

Are you sure your addiction to caffeine isn't really part of your addiction to sugar? Usually the two go hand in hand. I'd suggest cutting the sugar first, dialing down on the sugar from the fruit, then stressing over the caffeine (or not) once the sugar's under control.

Sub in fats for some of the fruit - an avocado with your carrot sticks, for example. You'll get hungry, else.

I'm also a mid-day napper. The only thing that has worked for me so far to eliminate or reduce nap time is to go run up and down a flight or two of stairs or do something else to get your heart rate and adrenaline up. When I nap I also rely on an alarm set for 1:30 hours. If I rely on my body I'll sleep more than that and lose the day! Sometimes a good 40 minute nap just makes the whole rest of the day better, though.

Personally, I'm healthy but still do take supplements (my diet isn't stable, though - hopefully yours will be better!) I wouldn't suggest you start in on supplements until you get stable in your diet and can track what your nutrition looks like.

Oh, and if you run into my "sugar stupidity" thread don't get discouraged. My journal's a lot happier!

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsJorre View Post
    So, about 24 hours in and here comes the fog.....my eyes are almost closing at my desk fog. I think I need to eliminate caffeine but the thought of this is horrifying- I'm literally addicted to caffeine. Not your 1-2 cups a day sort of junkie, a 4-5 cups without really trying sort of person. I cannot leave the house without a coffee. I had 3 this morning and now it's post-lunch and the 3:00pm slump is in, and I haven't had any sugar when I usually have 2 teaspoons in each cup.
    Breakfast was 2 x boiled eggs, blueberries, apple and banana
    Lunch was chicken breast, cheese and roast vegies
    snack: Carrot sticks and banana.

I haven't had any supplements at all, and I think getting some might be the way to go. Are there any recommendations without going overboard?
    Depending on how you make your coffee, can you start 75% caff 25% decaff and gradually up the % of decaff?. Doing that helped me wean myself off three out of my four coffees a day.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

Quote Originally Posted by sarasue624 View Post
    Welcome MrsJorre!

Are you sure your addiction to caffeine isn't really part of your addiction to sugar?

I'm also a mid-day napper. The only thing that has worked for me so far to eliminate or reduce nap time is to go run up and down a flight or two of stairs or do something else to get your heart rate and adrenaline up. When I nap I also rely on an alarm set for 1:30 hours. If I rely on my body I'll sleep more than that and lose the day! Sometimes a good 40 minute nap just makes the whole rest of the day better, though.
    Yes and yes!!!

And Badgergirl- decaf is how I managed to crawl through my last 'detox'. Whether it was that, or sugar, or both....

Thank you both so much for your insights and help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast