Thread: Question about White Rice, sweet potatoes and Refined Coconut Oil page

candy corn is offline Member

Question about White Rice, sweet potatoes and Refined Coconut Oil

Is it ok to have a small portion of White rice/ sweet potatoes daily if activity level warrants it? I'm unsure as to whether this would hinder my weightloss goals. I'm talking maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 cup for the rice and 8 oz or less of sweet potato. I'm concerned combing these foods with lots of fat will hurt me in the long run.

And is refined coconut oil ok to use? in this post mark says refined is fine: Is Psyllium Husk Primal or Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple

and the only coconut oil i can get around me is Spectrum brands refined oil which lists these facts:

Coconut Oil, Refined, Organic

Size: 14oz

This oil is best for sautéing or stir-frying over medium high heat or, because of its neutral flavor, for baking.

Ingredients
    100% mechanically (expeller) pressed naturally refined organic coconut oil.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    It's really up to you and what you feel you can tolerate well. Personally, I would not use refined coconut oil, but it's certainly better than using something like corn or soy oil. You kind of have to choose your battles, you know?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    It's perfectly fine if your current diet allows for some carbs, yes, I wouldn't sweat some sweet potatoes. Make sure you know your portion sizes though. And refined coconut oil doesn't offer up the same benefits as raw, but it's still better than nothing.

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    I've been low carb paleo for 3-4 months now but as I now do a daily 20 minute kettlebell work-out, I'm experimenting with eating about a pound potatoes or more (normal ones) after the work-out. So far so good, but we'll see in a few weeks' time.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    It depends...rice is neutral and there is nothing wrong with healthy carbs in sweet potato, veg, fruit etc.
    As for needing the calories there are a few people who might need them but not many.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    High quality expeller pressed refined is okay, but avoid the more common type of refined coconut oil, which is extracted at high heat and chemically deodorized. You won't get as much benefit from it as extra virgin coconut oil, but it's a far better choice for high temp cooking than seed oils.

As for sweet potatoes, potatoes, rice, and other starches, it will depend on your body's response to them and your activity level. I have lost fat quite comfortably while including starches, but other people find them problematic. At any rate, you will want to make sure that you are not overeating and that things like rice aren't pushing out more nutritious foods or causing binges.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    White Rice is neither good nor bad. But if weight loss is your main goal, you need to be careful with it. I can eat white rice in moderation and not gain weight, and I can eat it in small portions and still loose weight, but I loose it much slower than if I eliminate rice and starches all together.

Sweet Potatoes are more nutritious, but otherwise everything about White Rice applies to them too.

Mechanically refined coconut oil is fine. My worry has always been is it really 100% mechanically refined. You are just adding another step where you have to trust the manufacturer about something. So I only buy the virgin stuff. You say your Supermarkets only sell Spectrum so maybe you don't have a choice, but bear in mind Nutiva Virgin Coconut Oil can be bought online for less than what you pay for Spectrum Refined in the Supermarket (assuming you live in the USA).

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by candy corn View Post
    Is it ok to have a small portion of White rice/ sweet potatoes daily if activity level warrants it? I'm unsure as to whether this would hinder my weightloss goals. I'm talking maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 cup for the rice and 8 oz or less of sweet potato. I'm concerned combing these foods with lots of fat will hurt me in the long run.
    No bro carbs' gonna kill ya!1111
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?