Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: George McGovern has died page

Moochy is offline Senior Member

George McGovern has died

Primal Fuel
    George McGovern has died. This man made official government policy telling people fat will kill you and to eliminate it in the diet. This has led to 40 years of increasing obesity/overweight, heart disease, diabetes and cancer as Americans were advised to eat grain which is not a food humans evolved to eat. This man's opinion and his policy recommendation has killed more people in the US than anyone can imagine. Today's news commentary is full of nothing but praise for this chap and not a mention is made on his colossal judgement error on diet:

Last edited by Moochy; 10-22-2012 at 12:18 PM.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Linny is offline Senior Member
    I saw that he had died. I honestly didn't know he was still living.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Oddly enough, he lived to be 90 years old. I wonder if he followed his advice?

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Is it his fault or the fault of a population that feels it needs to be told what to eat by its government?
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    His fault.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    The guy flew 35 missions as a bomber pilot in WWII, but fuck it, he thought fat was bad, so he was evil.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    The guy flew 35 missions as a bomber pilot in WWII, but fuck it, he thought fat was bad, so he was evil.
    Also opposed the war in Vietnam. I think a few people died there.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    He was not evil, he was wrong in his policy judgement...the majority of the nation was and still is (Eat more grain and consume as little fat as possible). He had a biased point of view on a subject he had absolutely no knowledge of and helped create policy for what went on in the privacy of people's homes, schools, doctor's offices and so on. Government is evil, not the individual. He was simply a moron.
    Last edited by Moochy; 10-22-2012 at 12:15 PM.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

McGovern was only able to put together dietary recommendations based on what information scientists furnished his Committee on Nutrition and Human Needs. While I disagree with what they came up with, that's like blaming Americans for the CW being foisted upon them by nutritional "experts": Ancel Keys and his ilk had a couple of decades to get their cascade error rolling, and no one was really standing up to the Lipid Hypothesis by the mid-70s, the golden age of margarine. The influence of the grain industry was also burgeoning, and that made its indelible impact.

To say government is evil and that McGovern was a moron shows that you see the world in most basic, knee-jerk mentality. If you look at things objectively, you can criticize the dietary guidelines without making McGovern the bogeyman.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    McGovern was only able to put together dietary recommendations based on what information scientists furnished his Committee on Nutrition and Human Needs. While I disagree with what they came up with, that's like blaming Americans for the CW being foisted upon them by nutritional "experts": Ancel Keys and his ilk had a couple of decades to get their cascade error rolling, and no one was really standing up to the Lipid Hypothesis by the mid-70s, the golden age of margarine. The influence of the grain industry was also burgeoning, and that made its indelible impact.

To say government is evil and that McGovern was a moron shows that you see the world in most basic, knee-jerk mentality. If you look at things objectively, you can criticize the dietary guidelines without making McGovern the bogeyman.
    Fair enough. Moron was probably not the right word. Ignorant would have been better. McGovern was furnished testimony to his committee contesting his opinion and judgement. He chose to push through his own view of what comprised an appropriate diet and even commented he did not have the time that researchers had, a decision needed to be made. I don't understand how you can possibly defend a politician who has no expertise in what comprises a healthful human diet making policy for essentially the entire world? I am not a knee jerk individual. I just see what McGovern championed regarding this blunder as devastating to human health. I am not trashing the man, only this colossal blunder in time and action.

But I do see all government as basically evil, at best dysfunctional. I have nothing to offer as a solution, just saying. Take the paleo idea of evolving. You live and survive and through time evolve in a group of 20 to 60 individuals or so. Everyone has responsibilities to the group on a daily basis. Everyone has the ability to communicate to all members of the group. That's how homo lived for millions of years. You as an individual could communicate with the head honcho. You, if you were not carrying your weight would most likely have to answer immediately for why you were not part of the group. Look forward to our time. When was the last time you personally talked to the president, your senator, representative, supreme court judge, any bureaucrat in Washington making policy and so on? The system is dysfunctional and we are nothing more than domesticated animals who are kept as consumers so the machine can function. (Stay between the lines for your own safety)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast