Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: George McGovern has died page 3

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Some people are truly evil enough that they deserve to die and have their deaths be celebrated - Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Brzezinski, Kissinger...

I just find it hard to get that worked up about McGovern, though. Like someone said above, at least half the blame lies on the sheeple who don't see the irony in trading real food for fake food in the name of health.

Besides, at least in this case government policy didn't necessarily effect the dietary choices people could make, just the quality of the information.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    I have managed to find some excerpts from the original report etc http://zerodisease.com/archive/Dieta...ted_States.pdf
    Originally the committee was set up to find a way to feed the masses but over time the remit of the committee changed.
    The sad thing is he correctly identified the consumption of sugar as a major problem, and although he called for a reduction in sugar consumption he wanted and increase in grains (more sugar?1!?) and a decrease in fat consumption - if he had just stayed focused on the sugar.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    mcgovern was just a tad bit more three-dimensional than this thread would have you believe... this, like 99.99% of threads on the MDA forums, is 1) stupid, 2) myopic, and 3) appropriate as a distraction while bored at work - and absolutely nothing else.
    Winner winner, chicken dinner.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Winner winner, chicken dinner.
    Ohlord, now you're going bring in the chicken haters.

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    Ancel Keys, who as most of you know,was one of the scientists who lent some credibility to McGoverns plan to reduce fat. He is often vilified in this site. He lived to be 100.
    Howver what many people on this site don't know is when he was doing his research, he became very familiar with diets of a lot of regions. He became enamored enough with the ' mediteranean diet' that he wrote a book on it and actuall moved to the region and followed the diet. This was not the pasta/grain heavy diet we think of but the olive oil rich, lots of veggies, meats, cheese, wine, fruit and beans diet. SO not so low fat :-)
    Why didn't people latch on to those ideas instead of the low fat 7 countries study

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Well, I think I am probably done posting on this site. The post was not an attack on McGovern but his committee and it's policy which created government guidelines and the food pyramid and gave the USDA a boost in influence. Making statements like it's up to the individual to make food choices shows how much ability some people have to think outside their own perceptions. Not everyone has the ability to make food choices which are healthy. If you grew up in the US and went to public schools the meal every day was USDA guidelines. If you were a poor family your supply of food was USDA guideline provided by the government. Even if you were not being aided by government assistance but were a lower income family, your first choice would likely be grain based foods subsidized to lower costs to feed a family. Hospitals serve USDA guideline food every day to the patients. Seriously, some you folks are really clueless outside your own reality and the big picture McGovern's actions created in the world at large.

bye
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food.” Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Toodles!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    Well, I think I am probably done posting on this site. The post was not an attack on McGovern but his committee and it's policy which created government guidelines and the food pyramid and gave the USDA a boost in influence. Making statements like it's up to the individual to make food choices shows how much ability some people have to think outside their own perceptions. Not everyone has the ability to make food choices which are healthy. If you grew up in the US and went to public schools the meal every day was USDA guidelines. If you were a poor family your supply of food was USDA guideline provided by the government. Even if you were not being aided by government assistance but were a lower income family, your first choice would likely be grain based foods subsidized to lower costs to feed a family. Hospitals serve USDA guideline food every day to the patients. Seriously, some you folks are really clueless outside your own reality and the big picture McGovern's actions created in the world at large.

bye
    honestly, this is your reaction? you cheer for someone's death, others disagree, so you decide to stop participating on the forum altogether? see ya!

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    honestly, this is your reaction? you cheer for someone's death, others disagree, so you decide to stop participating on the forum altogether? see ya!
    You sir are an idiot. Nowhere in my post was I cheering for the man's death. His death brought forth my remembrance of his blunder in policy and all the ramifications which followed. Fuck off.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food.” Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post

bye
    I had a friend that stayed in the US for a year and he bragged about how awesome the school lunches were for providing fries, burgers and lasagna . Low fat? When I was at school the overweight kids were the ones who bought their lunch everyday from the cafe eating things like hotdogs, fries and chocolate milk. The kids eating chicken salad sandwiches provided by their parents were not the ones suffering from obesity from my memory.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast