Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions / have few questions! Help! page

Renee M is offline Junior Member

Need suggestions / have few questions! Help!

Shop Now
    Hey everyone! I have been reading through tons of posts but as there are so many varying opinions and ideas changing I am hoping for some clarifications and suggestions. Sorry in advance if this is long !

Some background for me - I have been "primal" since January 2012 after a few friends at work suggested it to me after a really bad sickness, hysterectomy surgery and the havoc it had on my body. I have only lost about 5lbs ( all the success stories were making me mad at my body for not being the same ) ... However I was feeling better but still tired and worn out quite often. We found out that my son is celiac after going primal which made the transiition much easier. The only real cheat I was doing was some corn based pasta (consisted of organic ground corn and water) and some cheese which I love and some butter with cooking. We also have potatoes for dinner sometimes as he is a 16 yr old boy, however I would usually pass on them or take a very small amount. I can't drink milk, i eliminated sugar, grains - everything .... Still no weight loss and feeling like crap.

I went to a naturopath and that was the best thing I could ever do as with allergy testing I am actually allergic to eggs and whey!! As I was alternating between two eggs with veggies or a low carb / no sugar whey protein shake with flax seed, berries and almond milk ... It explained why I always was feeling ill and eliminating all that has made me feel TONS better, although it does narrow down even more what I can and cannot eat.

The question I have is I am wondering if anyone has some new breakfast ideas that are quick to make and go with - I am getting bored of my same smoothie everyday(minus any protein powder of course) or a handful of almonds ! I am shift worker so do not even get to eat normal people hours

Also- where is the corn / potato debate sitting right now ( too many posts and I've been reading forever and just getting more confused ). The corn debate has always confused me as corn has dated way back as a staple as a natural food I thought for South America and is usually eaten natural and organic ground. Excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong on that.

I love the primal cookbooks as they are all mostly dairy free (yay) but wondering if anyone has any suggestions. People think that gluten free cooking/ eating is hard (not at all when primal) but when it's gluten, grain, corn, potatoe, dairy, egg free - throwing in a teen who hates vegetables I'm stuck ! Lol

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.. Oh and to add also - despite cutting even more food out (eating cleaner and no cheats at all) and starting with 5 days a week workouts to the three primal workouts a week .. Then no workouts for 3 weeks (hell weeks and with a Mexico trip in there) Still no weight loss or weight gain even ..think my body is cursed!!! I am 36 yrs old, 5'3 and 158 lbs.. I don't even need the pre-hysterectomy weight of 130 but nothing will budge. If Anyone has had a similar problem and have suggestions on that I would've grateful.

Again sorry this so long but back story helps to put things into context with the whole picture.

Thanks all! I have turned so many people onto this way of life but I'm the only one without the "success story" so far

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Also- where is the corn / potato debate sitting right now ( too many posts and I've been reading forever and just getting more confused ). The corn debate has always confused me as corn has dated way back as a staple as a natural food I thought for South America and is usually eaten natural and organic ground. Excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong on that.
    My own N=1 tells me that corn, even organic produces inflammation in my body. I can have a little bit maybe once a month. Anything above and beyond and i am in trouble. I am type II diabetic so potatoes are just too many carbs. Not to say I don't have them periodically but I know the carb count. SO...it depends on you and what your body needs. Not alot of help I know. My guess is that sweet potatoes are a better bet.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    Breakfast ideas - stir fry makes a great breakfast and helps clean out leftovers in the fridge.
    Not sure about the potato debate, but I eat them and love fried sweet potatoes for breakfast.

Regarding not losing, give yourself sometime to adjust and your body to heal. When you've been eating things that irritate your system for a long time, it can take awhile to level out. You might also want to have your thyroid checked, making sure you get the expanded tests not just TSH.

Fitness Wayne is offline Senior Member
    I am strongly anti-corn. White potatoes are ok if you are already at your ideal weight and exercise a lot but since you are trying to drop weight then don't eat potatoes. Sweet potatoes are ok but still limit your intake. I sometimes eat leftovers for breakfast. I'll make a big batch of apple cinnamon chicken or paleo chili then eat it for breakfast or lunch when I am in a hurry.

Since you are trying to lose weight you might want to try intermittent fasting to burn fat. It solves your weight loss problem and your problem of not knowing what to eat for breakfast.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Seconding the leftovers for breakfast.

Also, bacon/pork belly on top of a nice salad with high quality olive oil is... Yum!

I've also done the BLT thing sans bread.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    I quite frequently have non-traditional breakfast. Earlier this week I had a New York steak sauted (in coconut oil) with Kale, mushrooms and onions. On another morning I sauted brussel sprouts, asparagus tips, red bell pepper and onions in coconut oil and added ground buffalo and a couple of strips of bacon. Other days I just feel like bacon and eggs with an avocado. Mix it up - variety is the spice of life!

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Renee, but you are a success story !!!!! You are feeling better, and even if it is only a small amount - stick with it. Always a good idea to keep a diary. Jot down how you are feeling. I just found one from 3 years ago when I was really ill, and it is full of the wow, was I really that bad.
    Steak, pork bellies, bacon....whatever is your meat of choice. If its easier to cook at night, and have left overs in the morning - do that. Add onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, grated kumara.....whatever vege you and DS enjoy and stir fry the whole lot. Make sure you fry it in a good oil, then sprinkle with some good seeds and nuts........ I actually fry walnuts, cashews, macas, pumpkin seeds and almonds, just until they are brown.I use butter but you will have to use oil, pour onto a paper towel to soak up excess oil. (if you leave too much oil or butter on them they can go soggy), once cold sprinkle with a little salt and store in an airtight container. They taste great as a snack or sprinkled onto salads, stirfrys etc... in fact you can then add dark chocolate and apricots for a scroggin !!!!
    The other option especially for your son, is to make soup and thicken it up with cocnut cream. (yes you can eat soup at breaky time too) Tastes great !!!
    Good luck
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you're under a lot of stress. My other question would be around the amount that you are eating. You might check out GAPS diet recipes as they have all common allergens removed. Your body may just need some time to clean itself out before it starts shedding weight. I had a 2 month stall for weight loss in the Spring where I'm pretty sure my body was just working things out. It'll come, just give yourself some time!

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    The apple cinnamon chicken looks yummy! I do that w/ cabbage. I bet it would be good to add the chicken or pork in!
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Renee M is offline Junior Member

Thank you

I am still learning how to use the forum, so don't know if I am replying in the right place.. But thank you to everyone for your ideas, suggestions and support. I will definitely try your suggestions and give it a bit of time... My body will hopefully catch up soon! I know it's not the portion or food thing, just need to give it more time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast