Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why weren't the Victorians fat? page 2

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    Funny how the article never mentions that bone marrow was hugely popular at that time, especially among the upper class. And among the lower class sweetbreads and brains were commonly eaten. Maybe, you know, that has something to do with it.
    Now that is interesting. Though the idea of brains really is very yucky. Yes I know its cultural but there ya go.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    They weren't fat?
    The Stout Woman
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    What's this? Some fairground attraction, or something?

Kind of makes the point, doesn't it? Set up a booth and ask people to come and see the fat lady these days and you get no takers. Peoplr have only got to go to the shopping mall.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    you mean the stout woman link?

it was a clothes shop.
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Lack of cars, automation and cheap fuel, obviously.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    That stout woman link was a history of ladies undergarments, specifically girdles, corsets and stuff like that.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I think fatness is nothing new. I think the increased number of people who are very overfat is, and I think the earlier age at which more and more people are experiencing weight issues is a newer development, but well-to-do people have had issues with weight throughout most of history. The plump matron is a Victorian stereotype for a reason, as is the rich fat man. Overabundance of particular sorts of foods without the need to do physical work does have an effect. Other factors also play a role in modern health problems, but fatness is not new, just increasingly common.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

owly, everybody knows no one was fat until 10 years ago
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Oh right, the obesity epidemic. Better watch out, the fatz is contagious! It's worse than zombies. Everyone knows eating brains won't make you fat.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

i catched it
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12