Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Older SheGroks: Pelvic organ prolapse and exercise HELP WANTED page

PHaselow is offline Senior Member

Older SheGroks: Pelvic organ prolapse and exercise HELP WANTED

Primal Fuel
    I can't believe I am typing this. Ugh. I do all the right things: I keep my weight in a healthy range, I don't smoke, I exercise regularly for 25 years, I eat well and I don't take any meds. And still I can't beat Mother Nature.

I am on my way to a diagnosis of Pelvic organ prolapse. One of my restrictions is no heavy lifting. What the hell? Right now, I cannot even tolerate a fast walk or slow job. I can do some squats and leg lifts but anything involving holding weights is too much strain.

I am near tears with frustration.

Anybody dealing with this or have resolved this problem?

I'm pretty young (47) to be experiencing these symptoms but it is what it is. They came on suddenly 2 weeks ago and were complicated by a concurrent UTI. I did have some minor exercise induced incontinence over the past 2 years so I guess this is just a progression of what was already in the works.

Another thing I need to do is avoid constipation like the Plague. Any suggestions? Coffee doesn't always do it, and it seems like all the red meat I've been eating isn't helping matters. I don't want to take laxatives.

Thank you, in advance.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

BananaLeaf is offline Member
    There was another thread about this not too long ago. I remember that someone recommended a device called a Kegelmaster and I thought it sounded interesting. Might not hurt to try.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    You can try a pessary during exercise. I personally wouldn't give up lifting. The natural progression of this is you needing a TVT or something along those lines later on, regardless, especially given how early this started for you. Maybe not lifting will delay that by a year, but IMO, it's not worth it. I rotated through urogynecology in med school and saw lots of women with this problem, so I think I have a fair amount of knowledge about this - not to mention, I'm not even 30 and have always suffered from stress incontinence, so I'll probably have the same problem by the time I get to your age....

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    You could start with pelvic floor exercises a few times a day. I would consider also talking to a physical therapist, they can start you on a good program
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    PHaselow, are you talking about uterine prolapse? Do you also have a cystocele(weak bladder wall) and/or a rectocele(weak rectal wall)?
    If these things are your problem, I hate to say it but, no amount of kegel exercises are going to fix those. I speak from experience.
    I've been dealing with this for the past 3 years. I still lift heavy things but that comes with the price of making the situation worse. I can no longer use my rebounder because it's become to uncomfortable. Unfortunately, hysterectomy w/ a & p repair is the only fix for this and probably in the next few months.

Comma is offline Senior Member
    I have a DVD with excercises for that- have a look around on Amazon, I know they have lots more now. This one claims to help prolapse. Not sure what it was called....came with a red resistance band... I've never had prolapse, but could certainly be that it helps.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    Another thing I need to do is avoid constipation like the Plague. Any suggestions? Coffee doesn't always do it, and it seems like all the red meat I've been eating isn't helping matters. I don't want to take laxatives.

Thank you, in advance.
    Hello and sorry I have no comments or suggestions for your main problem, only sympathy. Regarding constipation, I would like to mention that since eating primal I don't seem to have problems UNLESS I slip up on following the guidelines. I suspect that it is the higher fat content in my diet that is keeping everything working so smoothly. Rice clogs me up, as does peanut butter. Too many nuts is uncomfortable too but perhaps in the other direction. Wheat gives me a bellyache. Too much fruit can cause diarrahoea, so that might be useful to know. So my suggestion is to keep eating the meat and eggs, cook with butter and dripping, make sure you are also eating vegetables, and try to follow the primal guidelines closely.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    PHaselow, are you talking about uterine prolapse? Do you also have a cystocele(weak bladder wall) and/or a rectocele(weak rectal wall)?
    If these things are your problem, I hate to say it but, no amount of kegel exercises are going to fix those. I speak from experience.
    I've been dealing with this for the past 3 years. I still lift heavy things but that comes with the price of making the situation worse. I can no longer use my rebounder because it's become to uncomfortable. Unfortunately, hysterectomy w/ a & p repair is the only fix for this and probably in the next few months.
    Too early in the process to know what all is involved. I want to avoid hysterectomy at all costs. All looked 'fine' with a pelvic exam at urgent care, but I've since heard that means nothing because I was lying down and everything would have retracted (plus the MD had been out of school for literally 5 minutes! Baby face new grad).

I feel much better when my bowels are empty. I took several of my magnesium citrate capsules so I hope that helps. This is all so frustrating. I don't want to stop running and jumping and lifting! Over time I might build up the confidence to lift heavy things again, but for now I'm chicken.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Too early in the process to know what all is involved. I want to avoid hysterectomy at all costs. All looked 'fine' with a pelvic exam at urgent care, but I've since heard that means nothing because I was lying down and everything would have retracted (plus the MD had been out of school for literally 5 minutes! Baby face new grad).

I feel much better when my bowels are empty. I took several of my magnesium citrate capsules so I hope that helps. This is all so frustrating. I don't want to stop running and jumping and lifting! Over time I might build up the confidence to lift heavy things again, but for now I'm chicken.
    Yeah, everything 'seems' fine during a pelvic exam when you're laying flat on your back. It's when you stand-up that it becomes most apparent. If you want to avoid hysterectomy as long as possible then running, jumping and lifting must be avoided (sorry ). Nothing, and I mean nothing, will bring back the ligaments once they stretch and go lax. Yes, you could try a pessary like another poster mentioned but those can be uncomfortable too. I'm at the point now where even a tampon can be uncomfortable (I know ~ TMI!!).

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this. I too had this problem at 33 and went ahead and had my uterus removed with bladder repair. I was instantly relieved of all the discomfort, incontinence and bleeding I was experiencing. It worked for me..It was also a while back so I don't know what you can expect now, I would think treatment (surgical or otherwise) has improved but this is beyond correction with exercise in my opinion.

With regard to your constipation I recently learned here that chia seeds help. I make a type of pudding using chia seeds and coconut milk that is easy and with vanilla and honey quite tasty. You should be able to search for it if you're interested.
    Last edited by meeme; 10-21-2012 at 04:20 PM.
    A Woman's Place Is In The Revolution.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast