Thread: Primal Journal (thecrunchymama) page

thecrunchymama is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (thecrunchymama)

Primal Fuel
    Today is 10/21/12.
    I'm 37 years old and 5'7''.
    I weighed in at 271 lbs this morning.
    I wear a size 22 in jeans.
    I am going to have hubby measure me today for the record.

While I am obese, I am, strangely enough, pretty healthy. I need no prescription drugs because I have no disease or condition that requires them. I believe that I have warded off things like diabetes, etc. because I eat very high quality foods: grassfed beef and pork, pastured, organic eggs (from our backyard flock of chickens), organic butter, raw milk, lots of veggies (mostly organic and usually sauteed in butter, olive oil or coconut oil) and fruit. Oh and I make our own bread from scratch (from organic wheat berries that I grind myself). I refuse to keep chips, crackers and candy in the house. I don't drink soda. I am what most people would call a health nut.

BUT I am over a hundred pounds overweight. I am convinced that it is because of the grains and sugar... oh and because I eat bigger portions that I should (because I am a good cook and my food tastes so doggone good).

I lost weight with Atkins back in the late nineties and again in 2003 (over 50 lbs). I am convinced that MY body just doesn't do well with grains and sugar. I need to face the facts that MY body needs a low carb diet to be optimal.

The problem that I had with Atkins was that I was always looking for ways to satisfy my sweet tooth (so I consumed a lot of Splenda -- which I now avoid). And I was eating a lot of soy (shakes, flour). Now that I am a Weston A. Price Foundation (WAPF) foodie and know better about soy I avoid it very well. I didn't like how restricted fruit and veggies were on Atkins so I could never accept it for a long-term solution.

I am looking forward to adopting the grain-free but fruit- and veggie-filled primal eating plan. And hubby and my brother's wife are going low carb too because they both recognize that their bodies don't do well with a high carb or SAD diet. I'm happy to have some low carb partners with me.

KotikBegemotik is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, crunchymama!

I am so jealous of your access to chicken on the foot...or claw...or whatever the heck they run around on. High quality food is a very important part of this. (I'm working on incorporating the high quality stuff)

Best of luck to you in pursuing Primal! I look forward to following your progress.

Thanks for the post, KotikBegemotik! And for the encouragement.

Okay, here are my measurements:
    Waist at belly button: 51 in.
    Hips at widest: 56 in.
    Ribcage (at bra strap): 40 in.

Meals so far today:
    B: 4 fried eggs
    L: 4 pieces of salami and 2 mozarella string chz (eaten more like a snack on the way home from church) then 1.5 hrs later a respectable lunch of sausage link soup with cabbage, onion, garlic in a tomato-based broth.

Cleaned out the pantry today! Had a hard time serving homemade pita bread to my kids today. Oh, it was tempting but my willpower prevailed!

Food today:
    B: 4 eggs
    L: yellow peppers with sour cream miso dip + soup with beef and veggies in a tomato based broth
    D: canned chicken with mayonnaise and hot wing sauce and chopped onions

Decided to weigh myself only once a week. I'm not in a huge hurry to lose all my extra weight. For heaven's sake, I have 112 lbs to lose to get to the top of my "recommended" weight range for my height (5'7"). I figure that it may very well take me two years to lose it all.

I'm on day 9 of a sinus infection. It has been easy to start the PB eating plan because I CANNOT TASTE anything. So, the upside is that I am not craving sugar But this is my first sinus infection and I don't like it I had been using my neti pot morning and night but last night I decided that I need to use it more often so I am shooting for every three hours or so PLUS I started adding a few drops of colloidal silver. Plus I am going to dramatically increase my garlic intake -- minced fresh garlic in some water with a splash of apple cider vinegar. UGH! I just don't want to go to the doc and get antibiotics. Anybody ever kick a sinus infection naturally?

Haven't gotten into any exercise more than walking b/c of being sick but I did go to a TRX class today at the YMCA and oh my muscles are jelly now.

In other news, my friend Heather has decided to go primal in order to lose extra weight so that she can be at her wedding day weight for their 10 year anniversary next year!

Happy that my sinus infection is almost all gone and without antibiotics! My sense of smell and taste returned My second TRX class went well then I walked for 25 minutes. Went to the store today and got some new veggies to try out: fennel and kohlrabi. Oh and I got some ground lamb for a reduced price and I am super excited about THAT!

I weighed myself on Tuesday morning and I had lost 6 lbs since my initial weight reading. Hubby says that he can tell I'm shrinking when he hugs me.

I haven't cheated at all with grains or legumes! Perhaps there were some days when I had too many carbs though. Overall, I am feeling great and I am still losing weight. This morning I weighed in at 256.5 lbs. So, I've lost over 14 lbs in the past 8 weeks -- not bad! If I can keep my carbs to 50 a day, I know that the weight loss would go faster.

Original measurements:
    Waist at belly button: 51 in.
    Hips at widest: 56 in.
    Ribcage (at bra strap): 40 in.

Measurements on 11/30/12 (two weeks ago):
    Waist: 47.5 inches
    Hips: 54.75 inches
    Ribcage: 38.5 inches

So, the inches lost is pretty exciting too!

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    Congratz on your success and I love your username
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Why Paleo/Primal was an easy choice for me when I decided to tackle losing 110 lbs
    Why Paleo/Primal was an easy choice for me when I decided to tackle losing 110 lbs. | thecrunchymamachronicles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast