Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Primal cheaper? page 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Organics in this country are ridiculously expensive, so we don't bother.

We were 90% organic in the US, and were spending about $250-300/wk for two people there (in USD), so it wasn't a big shock to come here and spend $300-350/wk (particularly once DS transitioned from breastfeeding into feeding!), though it's conventional rather than organic.

Today, we bought 1 kilo of tarakihi; 1 whole chicken; 1 skirt steak; 1 kilo of mince; 2 packages ostrich sausages ($20 -- this was the priciest!). We added this to what we had left over from last week which is two tri-tip sirloins, 1 chicken, and 1 kilo venison mince (there was a lot on sale last week!).

We then bought two big heads of lettuce, three heads fresh broccoli, one fennel bulb, 2 kumera, 1/3 kilo asparagus, 2 kilos oranges, 1 kilo apples, 5 bell peppers, 3 telegraph cucumbers, 4 tomatoes, 3 avocado, 4 bags berries (2 kilos total), 2 bags frozen veggies (2 kilos), 3 large dark chocolate bars, 1/2 kilo pistachio nuts, 1/2 kilo butter, 6 dozen eggs. ah, and mexican spices.

As an aside, we also bought a $34 bucket (3 kgs) of coconut oil, which will last us *forever* -- several months at least. And, I bought a 'treat' for us which are these great raw 'cookies' that are totally primal and are a nice treat ($10).

Then, we also have 1 liter of yogurt from our cow share ($6).

At the very least, we could cut three chocolate bars and the treat from the grocery list, which is about a $20 savings. I figure that you could also buy the coconut oil, but if you didn't, that would save you $34 there too. So that's a $54 savings. That would put you at $300.

What I also notice is that most people eat a lot fewer fruits/veggies that we do. While DH and I do one fruit a day (either berries or citrus), DS has unlimited access to fruit and veg. So, he might eat up to 5-6 fruit per day plus an additional 6-7 servings of veg.

A fellow friend of mine who is also basically primal spends a lot less because her grocery cart looks more like this:

4 dozen eggs
    1 kilo mince
    1 steak
    1 chicken
    1 bacon
    1 kilo fish

1 head of lettuce
    2 tomatoes
    1 cucumber
    2 broccoli
    3 bell peppers
    2 avocado
    3 bags frozen veggies
    2 bags berries
    1 kilo oranges
    1 kilo apples

And then from there, be able to assert that everyone is happy and satisfied, etc. Which is fine. I happen to know that her child eats very little (from what I can tell when I'm around him). She eats around 1500 calories per day, and I don't know what her husband is eating.

we all have high metabolisms here. DH and DS in particular. They are like garbage disposals. And they are LEAN and active, so. . . i'm not worried about them over eating. If I try to control DS's portions to "normal" for his age, he's hungry (constantly). I was nformed that I "should" train him on the right caloric amounts for his age, but I would hear his stomach growl! Not fair. I'd rather he eat what he needs.

And so he does. And it's fine.

But it means my grocery bill is much higher.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I spend a lot, but I don't eat out as much and I eat a lot more food overall so I think it's pretty even.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    I believe it is cheaper as I don't eat as much as I used to. Going from 4-5 meals a day to 1-2 saved me money.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    My grocery bill is higher for sure.

However, I eat out very rarely compared to what I used to. So... I'd say net savings overall.
    So true, I used to eat out a minimum 5 meals/week, now it's maybe once.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I am very fortunate to live in an area where ethnic markets are plentiful, and I've found that produce, fruits, and meats are a lot cheaper there. Of course they're not organic, but the only places that sells organic around here are the upper chain markets like TJ and Whole Foods and I'd only be able to buy 2 pounds of meat for $20. I can get a cart full of vegetables and several pounds of meats for the same price at the ethnic market vs about 6 frozen dinners at a normal supermarket. My grocery bill for a family of 3, me and my parents, run to ~200 a month.
    I've been burnt with meat purchases at ethnic markets....I had more than one experience of buying meat that was "best before" for like 5 more days and would be rotting when I took it out of the package a day or 2 after buying it. I will still buy some frozen stuff or live fish/lobster, but I stay the hell away from the "fresh" meats/seafood section.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    It's more expensive for us. But it depends on how you shopped before. We used a lot of coupons and shopped sales. There are few coupons for real food and we still shop sales. But the junk was cheap so our food bill is up overall.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Primal is definitely not cheaper, but I'm sure we are all willing to pay the extra few $ for the better health.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Interesting feedback, everyone, and Zoebird thanks for providing that level of detail. It is interesting to know what other people eat, and also helpful when making comparisons as well as for finding new ideas. Ostrich sausages - I must look out for those.

My list is much more similar to your friend's. Frozen lamb chops were only $7.98kg. I so missed lamb on holiday so will be making up for it this week! This week's shop $149 so far, will probably have to return for milk and more veges but I'll see.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    We don't have a deep freeze or big enough freezer to buy in bulk, either. We've considered it (through some farms that provide pasture raised/finished and utilizing a coop), but the cost of the freezer plus powering it seemed to have it come out in the wash anyway. So we opted to just continue on as we are.

And it's true. we dine out far less than before. this week we dined out three times (shocker), but we used coupons/vouchers and it was our anniversary, so we spent about $80 all told on three meals (at nice places). Which is unheard of here, as usually a nice place comes in around $60 for the three of us for one meal, and the cheap places (ie, thai take aways) come in around $30.

Anyway, we were having thai or sushi 1x week (so $20-30), and now we do that about once a month, if that. So. . . yeah.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    So true, I used to eat out a minimum 5 meals/week, now it's maybe once.
    For me, it's once tops, but more likely once every two weeks or so.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast