Thread: pesto sauce page

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member

pesto sauce

Shop Now
    I bought some pesto sauce. It tastes really good and i could see myself putting this shi!t on everything. Problem is, I have no idea what it really is. Theres no nutritional facts and no ingredients. I am assuming its just a bunch of random spices. Anyone know? Is it primal?

Thx

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Pesto is usually lots and lots of basil, pine nuts, parmesan cheese, and olive oil. So yeah, if you eat dairy, it's perfectly fine.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    and if not, then ditch the parm and make your own
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    storebought pesto is almost always garbage with creepy oils, and doesn't taste nearly as good as the real thing

plus homemade is super cheap and easy:

any soft herb - basil, cilantro, pesto, mint
    + a green - any combination of spinach, arugula, blanched kale, parsley, chives, green onions
    + almost any nut - brazil, almond, walnut, hempseed, pumpkin seed. you can also throw in chia seeds, but let them soak up some lemon juice for a bit and then blend in
    + hard cheese - traditionally parmesan, but I've also had luck with aged gouda, feta, and romano
    + lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil
    The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    Pesto is usually lots and lots of basil, pine nuts, parmesan cheese, and olive oil. So yeah, if you eat dairy, it's perfectly fine.
    +1 That is the traditional.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Agree that if you want to eat it, best to make your own to be sure of using good oils in your recepie.

Chaohinon has a good basic recepie. It's really easy.

I've made it with both olive oil and coconut oil, the coconut oil is a nice flavor variant that keeps things interesting so you don't always make the same thing every time. The traditional version with olive oil is great for imparting a traditional Italian flavor, the coconut oil version tastes more "Thai-like" and you can make it even more so by using "Thai" basil.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Check the oil it is made with. The deli I used to buy mine from was virgin olive oil. Then last time I went to buy some - it had both virgin olive and soy oil. I didn't buy any....