It's getting cold out, so I thought I'd share my default chili recipe! It's simmering on my stove right now.

2 tablespoons oil or fat (I use bacon fat)
1 pound of beef stew meat
1 pound of cubed pork- I cut up a couple of pork chops, but could use whatever cut
1 onion, diced
3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped or crushed
1/2 of a dried pasilla chili pepper, finely chopped

In a heavy pot, brown the meat in half of the fat over medium heat. Set aside, add the other tablespoon of fat, turn the heat down, and cook the onion and garlic until tender. Add the pepper and cook a bit longer.

Make a paste out of:
2 TB chili powder
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
1 TB cumin
1 TB oregano
1 tsp thyme
2 TB cilantro
1 and 1/2 TB cocoa powder
some water

Add this paste to the pan and cook a bit longer, just a couple of minutes. You want the spices to toast- you'll know by the delicious smell.

Add the meat back in, and deglaze the pan with:
1 cup strongly brewed coffee
2 cups bone broth

Last, add a small can of tomatoes with the juice. If they're whole, squeeze in your hand to break them up a little.

Cover and simmer for about 2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Then take the lid off and simmer until it reduces down and thickens to your liking. To speed this step up, you could add a little tomato paste. Taste and add more chipotle powder and salt if needed to bump up the heat. Be careful if you don't like spicy, the chipotle powder packs a punch in just a little bit!

This makes enough to fill my 2-quart dutch oven and is about 5-6 servings for me. Click here to see the Paleotrack nutrition if it's divided into 6 servings: http://i.imgur.com/hyyJS.png

Enjoy!