Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chili con Mucha Carne page

KimNKY is offline Member

Chili con Mucha Carne

Primal Fuel
    It's getting cold out, so I thought I'd share my default chili recipe! It's simmering on my stove right now.

2 tablespoons oil or fat (I use bacon fat)
    1 pound of beef stew meat
    1 pound of cubed pork- I cut up a couple of pork chops, but could use whatever cut
    1 onion, diced
    3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped or crushed
    1/2 of a dried pasilla chili pepper, finely chopped

In a heavy pot, brown the meat in half of the fat over medium heat. Set aside, add the other tablespoon of fat, turn the heat down, and cook the onion and garlic until tender. Add the pepper and cook a bit longer.

Make a paste out of:
    2 TB chili powder
    1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
    1 TB cumin
    1 TB oregano
    1 tsp thyme
    2 TB cilantro
    1 and 1/2 TB cocoa powder
    some water

Add this paste to the pan and cook a bit longer, just a couple of minutes. You want the spices to toast- you'll know by the delicious smell.

Add the meat back in, and deglaze the pan with:
    1 cup strongly brewed coffee
    2 cups bone broth

Last, add a small can of tomatoes with the juice. If they're whole, squeeze in your hand to break them up a little.

Cover and simmer for about 2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Then take the lid off and simmer until it reduces down and thickens to your liking. To speed this step up, you could add a little tomato paste. Taste and add more chipotle powder and salt if needed to bump up the heat. Be careful if you don't like spicy, the chipotle powder packs a punch in just a little bit!

This makes enough to fill my 2-quart dutch oven and is about 5-6 servings for me. Click here to see the Paleotrack nutrition if it's divided into 6 servings: http://i.imgur.com/hyyJS.png

Enjoy!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    That sounds super!

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Sounds great to me too. I will give it a whirl.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimNKY View Post
    It's getting cold out, so I thought I'd share my default chili recipe! It's simmering on my stove right now.

2 tablespoons oil or fat (I use bacon fat)
    1 pound of beef stew meat
    1 pound of cubed pork- I cut up a couple of pork chops, but could use whatever cut
    1 onion, diced
    3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped or crushed
    1/2 of a dried pasilla chili pepper, finely chopped

In a heavy pot, brown the meat in half of the fat over medium heat. Set aside, add the other tablespoon of fat, turn the heat down, and cook the onion and garlic until tender. Add the pepper and cook a bit longer.

Make a paste out of:
    2 TB chili powder
    1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
    1 TB cumin
    1 TB oregano
    1 tsp thyme
    2 TB cilantro
    1 and 1/2 TB cocoa powder
    some water

Add this paste to the pan and cook a bit longer, just a couple of minutes. You want the spices to toast- you'll know by the delicious smell.

Add the meat back in, and deglaze the pan with:
    1 cup strongly brewed coffee
    2 cups bone broth

Last, add a small can of tomatoes with the juice. If they're whole, squeeze in your hand to break them up a little.

Cover and simmer for about 2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Then take the lid off and simmer until it reduces down and thickens to your liking. To speed this step up, you could add a little tomato paste. Taste and add more chipotle powder and salt if needed to bump up the heat. Be careful if you don't like spicy, the chipotle powder packs a punch in just a little bit!

This makes enough to fill my 2-quart dutch oven and is about 5-6 servings for me. Click here to see the Paleotrack nutrition if it's divided into 6 servings: http://i.imgur.com/hyyJS.png

Enjoy!
    Coffee! That is something I had not thought about in my chili. I guess I've used chocolate before so why not java? Thanks! I love, love, love chili. This looks like a great recipe. Toasted spices are key.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

KimNKY is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    Coffee! That is something I had not thought about in my chili. I guess I've used chocolate before so why not java? Thanks! I love, love, love chili. This looks like a great recipe. Toasted spices are key.
    I've been using coffee in my chili for a while, but only discovered the chocolate thing recently. For this recipe I think the chocolate and smokiness from the chipotle pepper are what make it extra awesome! During winter I think I could live off of chili and never get tired of it!

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    coffee! what a great idea

Fitness Wayne is offline Senior Member
    Looks like some pretty good chili. You have a lot of the same spices as my paleo chili recipe, except I have a ton of peppers and sweet potatoes in mine. This weekend I am going to try making paleo chili with ground turkey instead of beef.

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    This was delicious!

KimNKY is offline Member
    I made this again yesterday to have some food ready for a January whole30, but with venison instead of pork, and reduced the spiciness because my stomach has been a little off since the holidays. It was my first time trying venison- a friend gave me some from a hunting trip and it looked like a tougher cut so a slow cook seemed best for it.

I also tried braising it in the oven at 225 for a couple of hours instead of on the stove. All those changes worked out really well! I think this is a pretty forgiving recipe.

a-ray is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Wow, that recipe sounds great, I may have to make some soon to have stored up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast