new here. Not sure if this is the right forum, and it's a bit of a long read, but bear with me.

Background: I am an ER doc and changed to a paleo diet to cope with shift work. More often than not, I don't get a chance to eat during my 10 hour shift. I used to do the 2 am junk food run on the way home from work, eat in my car, and feel terrible. Now, my shifts at work are planned intermittent fasts and going paleo has helped the quality of my sleep and work a lot.

Since afew months I have started incorporating nutrition advice to my patients. Not surprisingly, the vast majority of my patients are not in optimal health: diabetes, overweight, hypertensive, smokers. Most are not particularly motivated to change their lifestyle, or are in denial ("I only ever eat fish and vegetables, doc" ... you'd be surprised how many - morbidly obese - people tell me this). Most patients will ask me what supplements I recommend for weight loss. The general philosophy on health in this Western society seems to be that the solution for all health problems comes in the shape of a pill, and this is what most patients request. My impression is that most people frequenting this forum are not representative of the general population that sees their doctor for health issues.

Occasionally, though, I do see a patient who is interested and motivated in nutrition and lifestyle changes. I spend some time talking about the basic principles of paleo. At the moment, I think I am the only doctor in the department who advocates paleo, or who gives nutrition advice at all (it's an emergency department - poor diet is not an emergency).

I'd like to make it a more formal Patient Education process, supplemented with written documentation and referrals to websites and other sources of information. However, I am a little concerned trying to roll it out on a larger scale, because of a lot of the rhetoric of the paleo diet. By rhetoric, I mean the argument that "our paleolithic ancestors didn't eat this, therefore we shouldn't either" or worse "Grok didn't eat this". It makes me cringe. My feeling is that this has done the dietary recommendations more harm than good. The evidence of what life and health were like ten thousand years ago, is highly debatable and not that relevant to the world we live in today. It simply is not an solid argument and too easy to refute and ridicule (our ancestors also did not have clothes, cars, computers etc and what was the under five mortality rate at that time?). I sometimes recommend this website, but add a qualifier that the name paleo/primal makes no sense and people should just ignore this, try out the dietary recommendations instead and see how they feel. I am also hesitant to convince my colleagues of the benefits of a lifestyle, when the scientific evidence is peppered with such debatable historical and irrelevant arguments.

So, for now, I'll stay semi-closeted. I am interested in hearing your thoughts on this. Also, if there are any paleo friendly doctors out there with experience on formalizing patient education, that would be great.