Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helping Grandma start PB... page 2

Khainag is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks guys! This is awesome. Going to give her a call this weekend.
    SAD makes me MAD (a journal about Mongolian food and living with mullings on struggles with GERD, IBS and acne)http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66073.html

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    At 75 I just started whole hog, and had 'carb flu' for a week. That was OK for me, maybe not for her.

2 documentaries helped me along, King Corn, and I can't remember the other, but it had to do with modern farming. Wheat Belly is a good suggestion. King Corn points out that the corn grown today is poisonous to man and animal. It has to be soaked in sulfuric Oxide to break it down at the beginning of processing. SO2 is also poisonous and an immediate killer taken straight.

When she and I were young, we both ate butter. But when I started PB after I bought the butter and started to use it the first time, it wasn't as easy as I thought. I wondered if I really, really wanted to do this.

PB is a very easy read, but a little dull. give her a copy but don't press completion.

How is she with dairy. If she can, she'll love cream, butter and all the great things she eat when she was young.

Thanks guys... yeah I think that these are great directions. 1. documentaries on how grains (incl. corn) are processed now are a great idea, especially because my grandma grew up on a wheat and barley homestead (thanks for and 2. encouraging butter, dairy, etc. familiar things (she also loooves liver, and helped me to not have the usual SAD reaction to it).
    SAD makes me MAD (a journal about Mongolian food and living with mullings on struggles with GERD, IBS and acne)http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66073.html

gjfatkri is offline Junior Member
    she'll get fat in her foods.

My mom's taken to Primal like a tiger to water! I was concerned that she wouldn't like the whole high-fat thing, as she has been a low-cal/low-fat thinker for years and years. But as long as it's a whole food, not deep-fried, it seems like she's good! She seems to have given up grains (which was pretty much I think just sandwich bread) pretty much cold-turkey.

Unfortunately I had to enjoy the liver cooked in bacon fat just with Grandma .

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Just wanted to say I think it's great you're putting so much thought and effort into doing this for your gran and your mum. I hope they feel the benefits without too much in the way of withdrawal.

Grandma's recipes from around the world!!! Hardly any "grass" (as I refer to grains) in sight.

Gabriele Galimberti:

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khainag View Post
    Grandma's recipes from around the world!!! Hardly any "grass" (as I refer to grains) in sight.

Gabriele Galimberti:
    Haha, I like the swimsuit photo on the wall behind grandma #4. I wonder if that is her grand daughter, otherwise it seems out of place.

Gwen is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'll be 62 in September. I've been 98% primal since the beginning of February. I've lost 41 pounds in 2013. I read Wheat Belly in November, and "The End of Overeating" by Dr. Kessler, and my life was changed for good. It was a small leap from those books to finding Mark and primal living. I ate fringe during January, and fully committed, like I said at the end of January. I am reading everything I can get my hands on about primal and esp. lipid and the truth about cholesterol and statins. Your grandma might surprise you in that regard. Get her the 2 books or have her get them, and I bet she is transformed too.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12