Thread: My Stomach Hurts page

Comma is offline Senior Member

My Stomach Hurts

Primal Fuel
    I've had a low-level burny feeling for a couple weeks or more now and I can't figure out why. Feels like I drank too much apple vingar...

I'm pretty good about eating, I think, occasional slips but nothing major. I recently started to ramp up my veggies, including self-made sauerkraut at least once a day and a kale smoothie with 1/2 a banana and some other frozen fruit chunks. I also added heavy cream, in my tea and sometimes a bit with a small handful of berries. Not doing great on dairy, but a bit has always been ok. Could any or either have given me the ache? It starts in teh morning when I have my tea (with or without cream) and is there whenever I have anything at all in my stomach. Stomach is also sensitive when I press on it. Haven't had much veggies, cream, or smoothie in the last couple days and pain is still there.

Help? It's quite uncomfortable.

Euphoric is offline Senior Member
    Just to be clear, is it your stomach, or your gut?

Speaking of vinegar, I've got a few friends who swear by drinking a spoon before eating, and not taking in any fluids an hour on either end of eating, to help with stomach pains. YMMV.

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Have you had any relief from antacids?

If not, you could have an ulcer. They're chronically painful, on an empty stomach or not. Ulcers are typically caused by the H. Pylori bacteria, so changing your diet won't fix it.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, sounds like an ulcer, it won't get better on its own.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I agree it sounds like an ulcer. When I started Paleo it killed my stomach. Turns out to be a bad duodenal ulcer, and bad scarring from the past, not diagnosed properly. I tested negative for H. Pylori breath test this time though. So it is strong medication for me for a while to help heal. I can't eat any uncooked veg. or salads. Fruit best cooked too, and ACV aggravates it raw. I have had to cut out dairy, eggs and grains. Also nuts can be very hard on an ulcer so have with care. I think you are going to need to be properly diagnosed. I also tried the super enzymes before diagnoses, bad idea. I also found that any weight lifting etc. made things worse.

Oh no.

I only have it in my stomach, gut is fine. Digestion is a bit disturbed which I think is due to the add'tl fibre. I'm also burpy (but not farty). Yesterday night I took some peptobismol and this morning it doesn't hurt. I also didn't have black tea, only decaf chai with cream.

Think I should go to the doctor? What does it take to diagnose an ulcer? One of those endoscopie things down the throat?

Do ulcers come out of the blue? I didn't have any problems, and not too much stress or anything.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Ulcers are most commonly due to H. pylori infection, although things like caffeine, stress, alcohol also seem to play a small role.

An ulcer can be diagnosed by a urea breath test (very non-invasive) or endoscopy. Since ulcers are common and easy to fix, a lot of doctors will just treat it empirically with the 2-week cocktail of PPIs/antibiotics, and only test afterwards if the symptoms are not improved to make sure it isn't something more serious.

I wouldn't sit on it forever, because one complication of long-standing ulcers is perforation, which is very serious and can be even fatal if you don't get surgical attention quickly enough.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Mine was properly diagnosed with a diagnostic flouroscopy xray. Very easy. also breath test for H. Pylori is just literally blowing into a bag, once before drink solution and once half an hr later. So both no problem. Best get yourself checked out just in case. It is one of those things that if you leave it a long time can lead to scarring and/or perforation. It would all take a really long time, so likely no worries though. Just best get it sorted.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just come from the doctor, he thinks GERD. So now am supposed to do GERD diet (which I cannot find definitve version of) and if that doesn't help, try meds. Also have to get a Ultrasound to check for gall stones. Aparently that's my gall bladder where it hurts, not my stomach....

Too high fat? Have had fatty cuts and cream lately, but thought it was all good.