Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beef Bone Broth page

Catrin is offline Senior Member

Beef Bone Broth

Primal Fuel
    I've read that using apple cider vinegar when making bone broth helps extract minerals in the process, this is a good thing. Must it be apple cider in particular? Am trying to avoid a trip to the store, and I have a nice large bottle of good white wine vinegar - will this serve the need? Just curious - thanks!

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Never heard that. I have been trying to find some grassfed/organic soup bones and not having a lot of luck. I have been making a chicken broth w/ Publix Greenwise chicken. I am guessing it would work as well? Could it be taste? I was actually going to put some apple slices in my broth this go round. Honestly, I don't like the taste but have been drinking it for the goodness in it.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

CocoaNut is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    Never heard that. I have been trying to find some grassfed/organic soup bones and not having a lot of luck.
    U.S. Wellness Meats — Our Animals Eat Right So You Can Too.

Out of stock right now, but that's where I got my bones.

As to the question... I haven't heard about that. Of course, I don't know a whole lot about bone broth vs. regular beef broth, so... yeah.
    See my progress at Cocoa's Corner.

Or check out my journal thread here.

If I accidently make you a brony or convert you to Taoism, well... you shouldn't have talked to me if you didn't want that to happen.

Thanks for the link. Have you ever used oxtail?

Out of stock right now, but that's where I got my bones.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I used regular white vinegar because I had it on hand.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Thanks for the link. Have you ever used oxtail?
    Yes. Actually, the last broth I made, I used 2 lbs of oxtail and 1 lb of small marrow bones.

If I accidently make you a brony or convert you to Taoism, well... you shouldn't have talked to me if you didn't want that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CocoaNut View Post
    Yes. Actually, the last broth I made, I used 2 lbs of oxtail and 1 lb of small marrow bones.
    Good to know. One more question (and thanks so much for the info) How much did that make? I have been using one medium chicken in a crock pot. Maybe I just need a bigger pot and add more water/apple cider vinegar? It just doesn't seem to yield that much.

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Good to know. One more question (and thanks so much for the info) How much did that make? I have been using one medium chicken in a crock pot. Maybe I just need a bigger pot and add more water/apple cider vinegar? It just doesn't seem to yield that much.
    Keep a kettle of water nearby and, when you see the water level going down, heat the kettle and add water to the pot.

Though a larger pot would be helpful.

I started out with a little over a half gallon of water for 3 lbs of beef (one gallon for one 4.6 lb chicken), and I think I ended up with about as much stock (same for the chicken).

ALSO make sure that the stock is at a bare simmer, nothing more. You should see a few bubbles pop up every once in a while and that's it (no steam).

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    I used regular white vinegar because I had it on hand.
    I forgot to ask...how did it turn out?

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Hmmm...I bet my crock pot is too hot because i have seen it bubbling a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by CocoaNut View Post
    Keep a kettle of water nearby and, when you see the water level going down, heat the kettle and add water to the pot.

Though a larger pot would be helpful.

I started out with a little over a half gallon of water for 3 lbs of beef (one gallon for one 4.6 lb chicken), and I think I ended up with about as much stock (same for the chicken).

ALSO make sure that the stock is at a bare simmer, nothing more. You should see a few bubbles pop up every once in a while and that's it (no steam).

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast