Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beef Bone Broth page 2

CocoaNut is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Yeah, that will produce a number of problems with the broth, not the least of which is loss in volume.
    See my progress at Cocoa's Corner.

Or check out my journal thread here.

If I accidently make you a brony or convert you to Taoism, well... you shouldn't have talked to me if you didn't want that to happen.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    I think my crockpot is also too hot, even on the low setting, but it works. I used the white wine vinegar this weekend, and while the broth has the most incredible aroma, it didn't gel as much as it has with the apple cider vinegar. Of course, it doesn't mean the cause was the change of vinegar, but the broth is still yummy and full of goodness. The smaller bones were crumbling at my touch when I removed them.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I think my crockpot is also too hot, even on the low setting, but it works. I used the white wine vinegar this weekend, and while the broth has the most incredible aroma, it didn't gel as much as it has with the apple cider vinegar. Of course, it doesn't mean the cause was the change of vinegar, but the broth is still yummy and full of goodness. The smaller bones were crumbling at my touch when I removed them.
    I used the apple cider vinegar for the first time this weekend and oh my gosh it was good. So much better to me. I want a big stock pot. I think I will start looking for one.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I made bone broth this weekend out of a collection of short rib, shank, and marrow bones. I covered the bones by a couple inches of water, added 1/3 cup Braggs unfiltered apple cider vinegar and simmered the broth on top of the stove for about 26-27 hours.

The resulting broth smells divine, and I am looking forward to using it. There was very little gelatin in the broth this morning after allowing it to sit in the fridge overnight. I assume this is because I didn't have any joints in the mix? I kept it at a slow simmer - I can get a slower simmer on the stove than I can my crock-pot.

I've heard you can use bones more than once, so I put them in the crock-pot last night with more vinegar and we will see how it turns out. I am uncomfortable leaving something on the stove unattended for 13 hours on a weekday. I don't mind that if I am home (even sleeping), but not when I am gone that long.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12