Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Migraine Aura Advice Needed- Should I see DR? page 2

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For me, the caffeine and whatever else combo doesn't usually work, but that may be because I steer away from caffein in the first place since it's a trigger for me in larger amounts.

If I can catch it when I first get the aura, then usually 2 Aleve will work, but I'm not a fan of NSAIDs more than very occasionally. And I tend to think "WTH! Why am I dizzy and weak???" then 6 hours later remember that it's my current aura, and it's too late.

My aura used to be smelling things that weren't there, then seeing spots, and now I feel dizzy and weak, like someone drained all the blood out of my body. Can't wait to see what the next one will be!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    In fact, I had been having "auras" since age 8, which I called "fractured glass eyesight." It was only recently that I learned these were termed silent migraines, because normally there was no pain present. However, I did suffer one horribly painful migraine after extreme stress (ad an a/c blowing on my neck). And I also suffered a major stroke and heart attacks in the last 2 decades. I still see fractured glass, but now it accompanies a perpetual slight headache. I think hormones are also involved.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    My migraines are related to hormone fluctuations. First one when I was 16 and then occasionally (3 to 8 per year). Just thought oh well, I have to deal with it.

Except for the vomiting, I have experienced your other symptoms. My usual migraine consists of an aura first (usually visual, but sometimes vertigo), then terrible pain for a day, then throbbing in and around my right eye for the next two. Sometimes it is so bad that I want to rip my eye out - as if that'll do anything. Other times the headache is not so bad and I only have the throbbing around my right eye when I bend over.

Three? years ago I suddenly started getting two or three per week. My regular dr suggested going on hormone replacement therapy as she felt they were due to changes in my hormone levels related to menstruation. Forget that! I then saw a naturopath who suggested one supplement to help my body get rid of excess estrogen (DIM - comes from broccoli) and another to help my body build progesterone (agnus castus or vitex). After a few months I had far less headaches, and over the past couple of years I am certain that I went a complete year without even one. In the last year I think I may have had two or three, so I may visit the naturopath again.

hope that helps
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

melissahayes is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for replies, its nice to know we aren't alone!
    Just wondering what your thoughts are on mercury poisoning- I have a lot of old fillings. I am scheduled to have 4 drilled out next month- should I worry? Any possibility migraine is due to mercury?

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    when someone asks if they should see a doc, the answer is nearly always yes. If you're wondering about it, there's probably not a lot any of us can do to make you feel better. That said, do you consume artificial sweeteners? I used to get terrible migraines, and someone told me that his wife's doctor told her not to consume anything with aspartame. I skeptically gave up the diet sodas and gum and all of that (this is before paleo) and haven't had another migraine since. It's so weird when something that seems like a wivestale actually works!

Elisa75 is offline Junior Member
    Sounds a lot like a migraine. i get them and some of the bad ones do have a pain residue.

The fall and spring often provoke migraines in those who are prone to getting them. Hormonal changes, even otherwise positive ones, can bring them on. I'm a migraineur and have had them often recently, as the weather has fluctuated.

That said, go to a doctor. There is no reason to start on a prescription preventative, but if you can afford it you might want to get a workup. As far as preventatives, I second the advice re: magnesium. When I had them often and badly, the prescription antidepressant Effexor was helpful in a low dose.

zilog is offline Senior Member
    I began getting "silent" migraines (aura only) last year at 31 (pre-primal). I have no idea what caused them to come on but they got more frequent and I was probably getting 1-2 per week sometimes. None of them developed into a full-on migraine though. After starting to eat primally at the beginning of the year I've not had any since.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by melissahayes View Post
    Just wondering what your thoughts are on mercury poisoning- I have a lot of old fillings. I am scheduled to have 4 drilled out next month- should I worry? Any possibility migraine is due to mercury?
    I have no fillings, so I'm going to go with no. But you might want to track the weather and see if changes in barometric pressure coincide with your headaches. And track your cycles. I usually get a headache 24-48 hours before my period, but I wouldn't call it a migraine
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by melissahayes View Post
    Maybe not migraines, but to avoid being re-poisoned by the mercury as it is being removed, make sure your dentist is up to date with the latest mercury removal techniques, including dams and vaccuuming and nasal protection. Best wishes, and maybe your migraines will depart.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    But you might want to track the weather and see if changes in barometric pressure coincide with your headaches.
    Holy crap, yes.

I'm here in the desert. Monsoon season is about 4 months of storms coming and going. This year it was about one storm per week, and it truly, truly sucked.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast